Trumpet Discussion Discuss Tips and Good habits in the General forums; Well compadres It's my first post in the forum proper.An i explained in the introduction forum that i played cornet ...
    New Friend

Tips and Good habits

Well compadres

It's my first post in the forum proper.An i explained in the introduction forum that i played cornet (badly) over 25 years ago in a brass band. I bought a student trumpet a few weeks back and am inflicting lots of screeching on the wife kids and dog .
    Anyway what i'd like to ask is what are your top tips for a novice learner. How can i move quickly up the learning curve.....?
    Thanks all

Kalamazoo, Michigan

Re: Tips and Good habits

Welcome to the forum! Glad you are joining many of us in disturbing others I think many on the forum would advise you to find a good teacher to evaluate your ability status and remind you of the good habits you may once have had , and also the bad ones that can develop without proper guidance, so you can reach what potential you have with the least amount of frustration and you wife and dog will be more tolerant, 'to be sure.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

New Jersey

Like MF fan stated, a good techer is the best road to meaureable improvement with the least amount of frustration.
    Short of that you should focus on your sound in everything you play.
    Make sure you take full deep breaths, there are some excellent threads on breathing excercises.
    Search the forum for the topics; Breathing, Mouthpeice Buzzing, Embuchere, as a start.

Stan J.

What is to reach the heart must come from above. If it does not, it will be nothing but notes, body without spirit.
    --Ludwig van Beethoven

Music is God's best gift to man. The only art of heaven given to earth, the only art of earth we take to heaven.
    --Letitia Elizabeth Landon

as much as there is a devout DIY following here, I am not sure that there are any great success stories.
    There is no substitute for a good teacher - especially in the beginning. Anything that you do in the beginning that is not correct will haunt you for the rest of your life.
    The chance of getting it wrong is very great and that definitely decreases the possible pleasure.
    If money is tight, still find a good player at a brassband to get you started. It really is the only good way!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New Friend

Okay guys i'll seek out a teacher. I used to work with a couple of guys that play with a jazz Big Band....I'll see if i can track em down. In the meantime i'll forge ahead with the book and "twinkle twinkle little star"

Pianissimo User

I agree with others here, a good private lesson teacher is really important. But so is PRACTICE. Long, solitary hours, just you, the horn, a metronome, method and etude books.
    Of course, adults have responsibilities that kids who are starting out do not, but there's no substitute for time spent practicing.
    Good luck, welcome back!

Thread Information