Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Tone! Help! in the General forums; Originally Posted by commakozzi I appreciate that you think it sounds too simplistic, but that's how I approach it and ...

Re: Tone! Help!

Quote Originally Posted by commakozzi View Post
    I appreciate that you think it sounds too simplistic, but that's how I approach it and it works for me... maybe it wouldn't for everyone, I don't know. I feel like my breathing naturally adjusts to whatever it is I'm playing. If I have two short notes, I don't bother breathing in a LOT of air, but I concentrate always on taking in air in a relaxed manner. I HAVE to!!! If I don't, and I try to think about everything I get TOO focused on breathing and I forget about playing. The times that I take the most air in are during my long tone sessions (and of course long passages in music), and I still focus more on taking in a relaxed breath.... not necessarily MORE breath. The only time during the day that I actually think about breathing is during my breathing exercises. Hey, if I'm wrong I'm sorry, but this is my approach for now and it really seems to be working for me.
    I got point was that when we advise somebody who's having trouble to 'concentrate on their breathing' we mean a lot more than just the act of taking in air.....

This is all great advice, the problem is can you learn to swim well just by jumping in the pool, or are the chances of getting it right better with proper instruction?
    If you don't have a great sound, it is your EARS that need training and the human body uses imitation as its primary tool. A CD recording does not help as our brain does not get the clues that it needs.
    I think Commakozzi will agree, one lesson with a top player will bring more quality into your playing than years of DIY. A couple of lessons..............
    I really think that this is not a 100% self-help subject.
    The first 1/3rd of ALL of the lessons that I give are the basics. I play a long tone, the student plays back. They have my sound in their ear before they play. They have the visual of my posture and breathing cycle. I don't have to describe "sound" or sound production this way. It comes automatically.
    Last edited by rowuk; 02-28-2008 at 03:49 AM.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Georgia, USA

Yeah, I only had to hear Tom Hooten play the first couple of bars of Charlier's first etude to understand a whole mess of information about what I was doing wrong with air, attacks, etc. I just had to emulate his sounds as best as I could to fix my problems... ok, they're not quite fixed yet, but I'm closer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information