Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Tone Help in the General forums; Originally Posted by Seckse Also, I was wondering if you guys had any good warmups before you play. Preferably, something ...
    Las Vegas, NV

Re: Tone Help

Quote Originally Posted by Seckse View Post
    Also, I was wondering if you guys had any good warmups before you play.

Preferably, something to help with range and lip-comfrotability. But, Anything will really do.
    Warming up is a huge factor for producing a good tone. In your practice session try this. Start off by taking out your tuning slide and just buzzing on the leadpipe on your F, concert Eb. Eventually try buzzing an F major scale descending into pedal tone range. Then spend awhile just doing long tones. Starting soft and slowly getting louder and then fade out as you run out of air. Then try slow lip slurs in all seven positions. Focus on tone more than anything throughout the entire warm-up. Focus on producing the best tone you possibly can. You'll be surprised about how your sound starts to open up.

Also, like others have mentioned, start listening to players who have the tone you want. Listen to their sound and every time you play try focussing on getting your tone to sound like them. For me it's always been Chris Botti which brings me to my last point. Look into the Bill Adams trumpet method a bit. As far as tone goes, Bill Adams is the man.

Best of luck with everything, trumpet will teach you just as much about life as anything.

"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler

Minneapolis MN; Denton TX

My recommendation would be to pick up a copy of Phil Smith's Orchestral Excerpts for trumpet. Not only is it fun to listen to, but he has probably one of the best tones I have ever heard any trumpet player produce.
    "Taxes, that's your real inalienable right!" -Wynton Marsalis

You never have anything nice to say and all you do is criticize ppl. Go work on your muscles. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by tatakata View Post
    Please don't listen to Morris. Sorry Morris. Do you really think the majority of great trumpet players in the world have "typed" their embouchure. I'm sure some have but give me a break. This kid needs a teacher, a couple of records, and some practice.
    Last edited by Decentplayer; 06-28-2008 at 06:30 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information