Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Tone help in the General forums; Hi guys, after a recent assessment on my tone, i would like to know how to have more resonance and ...
    Pianissimo User
    United Kingdom

Tone help

Hi guys, after a recent assessment on my tone, i would like to know how to have more resonance and 'life' in it. atm it is quite dark and lifeless.

Peace NYCO10

Tekirova, Antalya, Turkey

Re: Tone help

Dumb or lifeless tone is often a result of playing low on the pitch. Make sure that you start the notes on their resonant center.

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Provo, UT

Listen to players that aren't dull. Then practice.

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

work on developing a good sound by doing the following:
    1)Play C and SLOWLY bend it up and down. There will be a point when bending where the sound will (for lack of a better term) sparkle. That's where you want to be.
    The next two exercises are more like a meditative exercise but they really work
    2)Play a long tone softly and without getting louder, "imagine the sound growing out from your body. Make the sound fat.
    3)Next, play some notes and "imagine" the notes coming out of your horn like a lazer and going down to the next city block. I not talking about louder, I talking about projection.
    Also, you can't go wrong with following mchs3d advice. Music is a listening activity.
    Last edited by Markie; 03-31-2010 at 06:32 PM.

Do a search on "circle of breath". With proper support you will be able to center your tone.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Mezzo Piano User
    Murfreesboro, TN

What I do is where I just kinda "feel it" in my chair. When you crecendo you kinda raise up and forward. When you decrescendo I retract and back into my seat, just kinda feel it ya know? As long as you have it down and you can play it easily then do they "dancing in the seat" or the "flute rowing row" and all, it helps you just feel the dynamics and the "feel" of the music. that helps my tone when you just relax and feel it.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Instead of using adjectives, hear your sound the way it really is; imagine (and strive for) what you want it to sound like.

Done deal.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

New Friend

Work through the Thompson Buzzing Book, it works wonders for tone and resonance IMO.
    Good luck
    PS its not just about buzzing - it has alot to do with crescendo/decrescendo and connecting the range top to bottom so that its all on one embouchure.

Piano User
    Jacksonville, FL

I think this is a very interesting thread. I also think that there could be an infinite amount of usable suggestions relateing to the question. Some will focus on the physical some the mental. I want to leave a comment on both.

First, the physical. When I was singing full time we had an example to demonstrate what one must do to not get lost in the crowd if you will. If you take both of your hands and hold them up at shoulder level, fingers extended, and shake one hand as if waiving at someone. Keeping the other one still, ask someone which hand they notice most. 99% of the time they will answer the moving hand. That is natural. It is the same when playing. If you are on a part that doesn't move, you have to. WHether a cres., or decres. otherwise your tone dies and gets lost in the movement.

Also, when wanting a lively tone; I always imagine myself as a trumpet player on the "It's a Small World" ride at Disney. It is hard to not play with a lively tone with that thought going through your brain.

I think you will also find that the better you know your music, the less you cerebral your playing becomes. I believe that will liven tone up as well.

Just a couple of thoughts.
    Jason I Boddie
    Sterling Brass Trumpet I
    Yamaha 6310 zs
    Warburton 4md Lexan cup, series 80 KT backbore

Fortissimo User
    East Yorkshire

Hi Jason,

Just a quick thought on your parts moving in the last post, would you say even a careful vibrato (no not like Callas in the late recording of Casta Diva), just enough to warm through the tone helps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information