Trumpet Discussion Discuss Tone stability in the General forums; Hi Manny, I have been working very hard at trying to bring back my chops. Too many years perhaps. At ...
    New Friend
    Austin Texas

Tone stability

Hi Manny,
    I have been working very hard at trying to bring back my chops. Too many years perhaps. At any rate, I have significantly increased my range and endurance. I still don't like my tone. But my question has to do with a recent development. Now when I hold a long tone on a g in the staff, it sounds trembly--not steady. If I pull my upper lip in toward my teeth just a little the tone improves. That is, it gets a little steadier. This is very frustrating because so many things were going well. I have very thin lips and in there normal position away from the horn, you can barely see the red. I don't know if that matters, but my tone sounds like my lips look ---thin. (just call me old thin lips)

Thanks Manny

Utimate User
    I don't think it's anything more complex than rebuilding the strength in your surounding muscles that hold your embouchure steady in place. That's really all there is.

When you practice go for an ease and fullness of breathing with a strong sense that your embouchure is firm. Not tight, firm.

Hear the notes before you play. Clearly. Then play and let your muscles rebuild themselves without concern.

Thread Information