Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Tonguing in the General forums; for me tongueing is one of those centipedial things. if i think about it i screw it up and can't ...
    Saint Paul, MN

Re: Tonguing

for me tongueing is one of those centipedial things. if i think about it i screw it up and can't do it. i anchor tongue i think. i try to imagine the sound of articulation that i want and let the tongue take care of it. that doesn't mean that i don't practice tonguing of different types, i do almost every day, but i try not to think about the process but the product.
    Per aspera ad astra

I used to tongue between my teeth.
    Then I switched to Manny's method. It sounds much better for me.

As my warm up I used to single tongue Ku for the first half hour of band rehearsal or my at home rehearsal. Then I would Tu for the rest of it.
    "I was performing professionally at age 17 and have never had a real job." Allen Vizzutti

New Friend

For the past 2 days I've been practicing with different tonguing styles that you all have mentioned here. I think the "anchor tongue" is the most difficult haha. As far as to the roof of my mouth, behind the front teeth maybe half an inch... I can do it... but it feels like my mouth is being pressurized. I see the potential for quality haha but its just not happening.. When I tongue at the lips (like I have all my life) everything happens more freely.. I'm putting it on inexperience now.. The note stchasking left is true for me also.. I find that when I'm less focused I can produce a better quality (still crappy on a large scale of course)

Speaking of... My tone is raw too.. I tried going in the bathroom, closing the door and playing long tones to try to adjust myself... Now, I sound beautiful in the bathroom, but anywhere else.... well you get it...

"Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."

Why does one sound good in the bathroom? It is not because of the "echo". It is because it is a SMALL live room that any player can fill with sound.
    The small part means that the played sound is immediately relected back to the ears, giving you immediate audible contact, and the live part means that the later relections come back and confuse the brain into thinking it is good. Record your sound and you may be suprised to hear that it sounds like something else that you find in there.......
    Changing playing techniques and embouchures is something for a good teacher. Relief in the bathroom should be reserved for the other ring muscle in the body..............
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information