Trumpet Discussion Discuss Tonguing Exercise in the General forums; Please suggest the tonguing exercise to make the tonguing clear and faster. Ps.Now I practice the Allen Vizzutti tonguing exercise ...
    New Friend

Talking Tonguing Exercise

Please suggest the tonguing exercise to make the tonguing clear
    and faster.

Ps.Now I practice the Allen Vizzutti tonguing exercise in book 1.

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

Re: Tonguing Exercise

Hi trumpetrelex,
    Markie here, instead of me telling you, let's let Rafael Mendez tell you.
    "The tongue is a muscle capable of very rapid motion. However, as with any muscle, it must be developed.Training the tongue for brass players involves the use of various syllables. Try this.
    Think of the syllable "TOO". Say it over many times, concentrating on the tongue action. For the "T" of the syllable, the tongue tip touches the back of the upper teeth. Flicking back, it becomes "TOO" in keeping the air directed at the lips. Note the expression, "flicking back". I want you to think of the tongue as a thin, pointed rapier that will dart, flick,-easily, lightly, and lightning-like; up and down, not to-and-fro".
    From Prelude to Brass Playing by Rafael Mendez

Also, you need to HEAR what fast articulation sounds like. I suggest two DVD's
    1) Clark Terry Quartet 1965/ Big Band1974 ( Clark's known for lah-dah tonguing)
    2) a DVD by Mendez which can occasionally be found on ebay
    Get the sound of these articulations in your ears and your goal of increasing your speed with a clean attack will be achieved in quicker time. Good Luck

Greensboro, NC

In addition to what Markie said be sure and support the sound. Most tonguing problems are a result of poor air use. keep the tongue light, move just the end (tip) of the tongue. Too much tongue movement will impede your progress. Blow through the tongue, better yet think of blowing through the horn and out the bell. Start slow, speed will come as you get better. An exercise you can do is play 4 1/8th notes on each note of a scale up and down. "Feel" your tongue, you can't control it unless you can "feel" it. Do this for, say, 5 to 10 minutes every day. Stop and rest when your tongue starts to feel sluggish (fat). When you feel ready, go to page 28 in the Arban's book. Start with #19. Do 1 to 2 of these at a time. Start at the lower metronome markings. When you can play them at the top Met. marking move to the next exercise(s). Another good section for tonguing is page 59. Follow the same routine as page 28. remember slow and steady. learning new playing skills takes time. How much is directly related to how consistant and diligant you are with your practice routine. Let us know how this goes. Good luck.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetrelax View Post
    Please suggest the tonguing exercise to make the tonguing clear
    and faster.

Ps.Now I practice the Allen Vizzutti tonguing exercise in book 1.
    Take a DEEP breath before starting is the #1 exercize. #2 is to practice in slow motion until it sounds perfectly clear. The jump 10 beats per minute and perfect again. Do not increase gradually. Perfect slow, then jump!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information