Trumpet Discussion Discuss Too much Air? in the General forums; Hi all. I'm a HS senior, and I'm 1st chair in band, and orchestra. In the past few weeks, I ...

Too much Air?

Hi all. I'm a HS senior, and I'm 1st chair in band, and orchestra. In the past few weeks, I have become discouraged with myself. I don't know why, but It almost seems as though I can't fit enough air into my horn. It just seems like I'm filling up the mouthpiece so much I have to really push the air through. I play on a Bach 3C/ Schilke 14, and I don't know if it is the mouthpiece, or me. I've just been really frustrated, and thought maybe some of you guys could give me some thoughts on the subjuct. What's going on!?

Thanks for any help,
    I Reject Your Reality, And Substitute My Own.

Georgia, USA

Quit forcing things, INCLUDING air, through the horn. Just relax and let the horn do the work!

Two things: 1) What Tom said is right. Don't think about the air, think about making music. Play in a live room, and look out into the room while you're playing. Remember, musician first, trumpeter second. 2) Clean your instrument. If you clean your horn regularly, disregard this. If it has been a few months, give it a good bath and run a snake through it. If you can find somebody who does ultrasound cleaning, do that. You'll be amazed at the results.

Palm Desert

too much air

I think you need to think about and then tell us what you think you're doing differently now than you were before you started having this problem.
    How much time do you spend playing daily? If you're like most lead guys in HS, you've got concert band, jazz band, marching band, pep band, and then you go home and practice until dinner time.

Are you unconciously using a different position on your mouthpiece? Check it out in the mirror. Where are you breathing from? Diaphragm or neck? Are you only thinking about producing a sound at the mouthpiece instead of having a mental picture of a constant stream of warm air coming out of the bell? Are your lips fatigued? Swollen? What's your tongue doing when you try and produce a tone?

Think about these things and I'm sure we'll have more suggestions coming soon. But I think we need more info from you before we can really give some help.

I don't think we need to get into mouthpiece issues here, yet, folks... I think its a simple breathing problem, so let's start there.
    Geoff Winstead
    Author of The Real Way to Play the Cat Anderson Trumpet Method - A Step by Step Approach to the Upper Register

Yamaha 6310ZS Shew
    Conn Connstellation 38B
    FoKus Artist Model 10.5

Thread Information