Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Too Much Brain in the General forums; My first teacher, Prof. Hill, was really into "The Think Method". I learned the "Minuet in G" in no time. ...
    Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit
    My first teacher, Prof. Hill, was really into "The Think Method".

I learned the "Minuet in G" in no time. Got to the point where I didn't even have to think about it.

Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Forte User
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Not thinking= auto pilot

Part of my normal warm up includes the Arbans Var. ll of the Carnival of Venice. I have played it so many times that I now am on 'auto pilot' when I play that piece. Some of the far better trumpeters in both of the community bands that I am a member of, are teasing me about being able to play something that they struggle with, and, play it quite well. My feeling is that Raphael Mendez had it right in that he played the same music over and over, until it drove his wife to distraction. He was simply burning the music into his brain, so that he didn't have to think about it when it came time to perform that music.
    Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet
    G.R.Band Instr. cornet
    Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Getzen Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Many others no room to list

Mezzo Forte User
    I've always tended to overthink my playing too. My teacher is always telling me to "let go." One time I asked how I was supposed to do something (I don't remember what) and he said, only half joking, "use the force."

So I thought about that for quite awhile and decided, just like Manny said, that I needed to do something for which I had no awarness of technique. I didn't play the baritone, but I did buy a dartboard. I don't have the first clue how you're supposed to correctly throw a dart, but I just decide where I want it to go and then throw it there. It took a litle time, but now the darts go where they're supposed to more often than not. I got the dartboard in the middle of January and right now I'm playing better than I think I ever have. I'm not sure how much those things are really related, but I really feel like it's more than just a coincidence.

Here's another thing that made some sense to me. When Babe Ruth was first playing baseball, he was a pitcher (a great pitcher, actually). Because he was a pitcher, he wasn't counted on to produce much offence, so when he hit he really swung hard. He stuck out a lot, and occassionally hit it a long, long way. But the point was that he didn't really have to care if he got a hit, he just let loose and swung. Over the years, he got pretty good with that swing so that by the time he switched to the outfield, he still swung the same way but his body learned how to hit the ball more and more often. This really helped me stop being so carefull with trumpet playing and just go for the result I wanted without caring when I stuck out, so to speak.

Anyway, long winded, but maybe that made some sense for someone...

New Friend
    Pedal C, what you just said is more or less the main concept of Mr. Adam's approach.
    Bb: Yamaha Xeno 8335
    C: Bach 229 w/ tuneable bell, MC2 pipe, and malone tuning slide
    Cornet: 1949 NY Bach Mercedes
    Mouthpieces: Reeves 43Cs (trumpets) Bach 1 1/2 C (cornet)

New Friend
    Developing a good practice routine will help your facial muscles "remember" how to do things in the most efficent way. That way you wont have to think about every little chop adjustment while playing. Once a person starts freeing up their thinking, there are less errors and more room for music to be made.

Forte User
    Atlanta, GA
    There are times when we are shedding to fix a certain problem or trying to get a certain sound and that is when we analyze. When it is time to play the piece, that is when the analytical brain gets pushed aside and the soul shines.

The same goes for playing with orchestras. I don't mind rehearsals, but I love performances because I know the conductor CAN'T stop. It is sooooo liberating and always brings my playing up a notch. I can just SING!

Related to some of the other posts, I would use the "force" when playing racquetball or softball. Instead of over-thinking my form, I would just concentrate on the ball and where I wanted it to go. It worked surprisingly well in racquetball. With the bat and ball, it took more of a "staying in present time" kind of thinking. Watch the ball, watch the ball, watch the ball and swing at the last possible moment - never taking your eye off of the ball. It is amazing how everything goes into slow motion when in that mindset.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information