Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Too much spit. in the General forums; Okay, it's been a while since I've been on, but I need some help. I'm comeback player, 17 years off ...
    New Friend

Too much spit.

Okay, it's been a while since I've been on, but I need some help.

I'm comeback player, 17 years off the horn, 3 back on. Everything is coming back in shape nicely, but for some odd reason I can't seem to get through 2 lines of a piece without emptying my spit valve.

Even at medium range/volume, after 6 measures or so you can hear the spit bubbles.

Granted, I am playing on a different trumpet than I was years ago, but I never had problems like this.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

I've been told I'm full of hot air, but this seems like more than that.
    MIA King Silver Flair
    Blessing ML-1
    Holton Collegiate Cornet
    Conn Director Cornet
    Selman 'C' Trumpet
    Bach 3C
    Bach 5C
    Bach 1.5C
    Schilke 14a4a
    Schilke 13a4a
    Marcinkiewicz E14 Bobby Shew
    Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz

Re: Too much spit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassace View Post
    ...I can't seem to get through 2 lines of a piece without emptying my spit valve... I've been told I'm full of hot air, but this seems like more than that.
    Before you start blaming yourself, I have to ask the question, when was the last time the trumpet you are using was cleaned? Unless you are "The ALIEN" if you are having spit problems after a couple lines of playing, I am betting there is spit pooling in an area that is blocking the flow. So before I can advise any further, check out the cleanliness of your horn if not already done.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

I have recently changed horns and find that with the "new" one I am having to blow out the spit more often. It's not as often as you have described but it is more than the other one. I am the same person playing both and had no layoff, just saying I don't think it is a change in playing styles or technique. Different horns behave differently.
    I agree with what Gmonady said, it can be a cleaning issue because if I let it go a bit too long the moisture problem gets worse. A clean horn with no blockage almost eliminates any excess moisture- for me.
    BigDub
    www.waynemathisenstudio.artistwebsites.com/ comments welcome!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wayne-R-Mathisen/1592745394281517
    my avatar is my painting PM for more info
    Gmonady's editor in chief

Forte User

Some horns pick up more condensation than others. Furthermore, more condensation means more air through the tubing, so perhaps you're just using air better than you used to...
    Philippe.

Selmer Radial, Bb.
    Yamaha YTR4420E, C.
    1930 Couesnon cornet

A mind that masters the breath
    Creates strength (Lao-Tzu).

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bassace View Post
    I've been told I'm full of hot air, but this seems like more than that.
    You are full of hot, moist air, and that is a good thing. I concur with the others that it might well be a cleanliness issue. If not that, pay attention that the water key is the lowest point on the trumpet when emptying.
    coolerdave likes this.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Mezzo Forte User

Hi bassace,
    There's a few things that can cause an excessive buildup of spit.
    1.Temperature.
    2.Your mouth just happens to be excessively wet.
    3.(Most likely) As you know, there are saliva glands in the mouth. If you are creating excessive stress in your mouth, you may be expressing some of those glands. While it's important to express yourself, I don't think it applies to glands.
    How to check.
    When you play, is your tongue stiff and rigid?
    Once you finish a phrase, does a "puff" of compressed air come out of your mouth
    ---
    Possible remedy
    Blow easier. Chances are you are forcing the air and as a result, you tighten your cheeks and tongue to hold and maintain the air pressure you are creating. PLay soft. What is soft? I need to be able to stand next to you while you play and talk to someone and not strain to hear or speak.
    Hope this helps
    Dr.Mark
    RRVancil likes this.

There could be a burr or solder blob near the water key hole causing it to not empty properly.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Trumpet Maker www.divitt-trumpets.com https://www.facebook.com/divitt.trumpets/

Don't think you are alone here ..in high school I played a student model 15 B Conn ,35 years later I picked it up and things were pretty much the same, but I did have more moisture than years ago .

After a couple months I got an older 22B model Conn ,a better trumpet to be sure, however I suddenly noticed I had to empty the horn after every short passage ,I inquired here at TM and got no info that would help ,a few months later I got a Coprion bell 18 B Conn that is a little older than the student trumpet ,funny that I could play for a half hour or so without dumping on that one .

About a year later i got a 1929 Holton ,on this one (have been playing it for about 3 months) I only empty about half as much as the 22B ,so my conclusion is that certain horns gather more moisture ,the 22B is really bad in this regard ,in fact it acts like it doesn't empty out all the water at times ,very frustrating during a performance !

All my horns get cleaned and snaked about every month If I play them.

Anyway I think that as you go along it will get better ,but i like the pressure comment .

Dean_0

I have noticed that as i grow in my playing skill I use less pressure which seems to help with the water works ,
    Date ? Cousenon Flugelhorn-#747**
    1929 Holton model 48
    1940 22B Conn NYS late model
    1956 18B Conn Director Coprion
    1967 15B Conn Director (my first)

Most living animals have to go to the toilet. I guess your horn is simply a beast........
    There are instruments with more susceptability to gurgling, but there are also non-relaxed approaches to the trumpet that also have the symptom of more spit.

On your next day off, take a long hot shower and then practice 15 minutes of long, exhaled longtones-no attack or tonguing at the beginning. If the spit issue is gone, you are on to something pretty common in the trumpet world. Let me know if it works. Then I can tell you the rest of the story!
    Bassace and neal085 like this.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New Friend

I'm off work in 3 1/2 hours, I'll give the hot shower a try.

Maybe a 30 minute massage would help me relax too. There is a massage studio a block from my house, I wonder if my wife would let me work that into my practice routine. Hot shower, massage, play trumpet for an hour...

Sounds like a good day to me.
    MIA King Silver Flair
    Blessing ML-1
    Holton Collegiate Cornet
    Conn Director Cornet
    Selman 'C' Trumpet
    Bach 3C
    Bach 5C
    Bach 1.5C
    Schilke 14a4a
    Schilke 13a4a
    Marcinkiewicz E14 Bobby Shew