Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss "took delivery" and Monette trumpets in the General forums; Originally Posted by Toobz I see, so that's where the nickname "Duck" model came from. And I thought it was ...

Smile Re: "took delivery" and Monette trumpets

Quote Originally Posted by Toobz View Post
    I see, so that's where the nickname "Duck" model came from. And I thought it was for your new "Oregon lite" model. " To be coming at you, real soon."

You just made my day,man.:)

Re: "took delivery" and Monette trumpets

Quote Originally Posted by NYTC View Post
    And I just call all my clients idiots and they get their horns thrown in their faces.:):)
    All kidding aside, Monette has influenced the industry in many ways. Unfortunately, I think many manufacturers, large and small, feel more comfortable raising their prices significantly more than regular inflation would dictate (or maybe I should say that manufacturers feel comfortable charging more for better raw materials and craftsmanship, as well as more R&D, all of which are undoubtably good things).

I also think that he set an early standard and created a niche in the trumpet world for personalized service. To my knowledge, there were very few places in the early 80s where you could go and talk to someone about the kind of trumpet you wanted. Most were left to choose from stock models, and then go for aftermarket adjustments (i.e. "conversions"). There are now several companies that offer personalized service. Although I have never dealt with either, NYTC and Eclipse come to mind. It's a good thing that there are places who will treat trumpet players with the same amount of individual attention that they would get from a custom string maker.

Just a few thoughts...

that is a great question. I wish I could tell you when that phrase was planted in my head. Maybe it is on the Monette website somewhere, or maybe Dave Monette is more than a just trumpet builder and Yoga teacher...................... I have looked through my emails and found no references.
    As a Mac and Monette owner, I can agree with Jimi. I would add Palm and perhaps Bose to that list of "different" products emulated my many.

I thought New York trumpets came in violin cases with a bouquet of black roses.......................
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Forte User
    Brisbane, Australia

Palm ... sigh ... I used to be such a fan. The TX is OK, but I have serious gadget envy with things like the iPhone on the market now. Palm has not innovated in years. :(
    Queensland Wind And Brass
    Talking about music is like dancing about architecture. Thelonious Monk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information