Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss It took a while but I finally think in concert pitch. in the General forums; Originally Posted by Vulgano Brother My trumpet professor had us immerse ourselves in the C trumpet (except Stage Band) and ...
    Vienna, Austria, Europe

Re: It took a while but I finally think in concert pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgano Brother View Post
    My trumpet professor had us immerse ourselves in the C trumpet (except Stage Band) and playing Barnum and Bailey's Favorite on C was a challenge. It got to the point that I'd look at a clock and transpose an hour down.

I do, however, think the piccolo is the next step. Chicowitz liked starting his students on the "A" side because it was lower. My teacher started us on the Bb side because of our Bb ears, but the piccolo can be a nasty little beast at first. We (as noted above) tend to either play with lazy air or attack it like a Bb playing lead.

It is neither of the above: the piccolo will multiply our mistakes by a factor of two. If you get a piccolo, pull out a beginning method and work through it. Practice lip slurs and such, and tonguing too. Stay away from playing tunes for a while and tame the beast. Challenging but fun.

The Eb turns out to be an unneeded instrument. Anything written for Eb trumpet can be played on the Bb, C or piccolo.

Play some weddings and you can pay off the piccolo pretty quickly.

Have fun!
    I beg to differ on the Eb issue. When working upward from a Bb to a picc, I consider the Eb essential. Everything I learnt for picc was acquired playing Eb Soprano Cornet in a Brass Band.
    I had done years of C playing in a concert pitch band without any direct results for my picc playing. But I admit that once you have gained control of your picc, you might be able to advantageously sell the Eb.
    Or you might go for a compromise and get a high G. ideal for all the Baroque stuff originally written in D...

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

The Schilke F/G would be a good but pricey choice.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Mezzo Piano User
    State of Confusion

i KNOW WHERE A Bach Gold Plated G is sitting in the window......heheheheee
    two Olds Recordings -- 1 sold!
    Yamaha C trumpet YTR - 745
    Besson Eb/D trumpet
    Bach G trumpet - 2
    Bach Herald Trumpet
    Olds Ambassador - circa 1959 - Fullerton -- sold!!
    H.B.Jay Co. Columbia model trumpet 1910 gold plated
    Bach Stradivarius Trumpet
    Couesnon Lafayette Trumpet -- sold!

Northwest Georgia

yeah, its gonna be a while before I can cobble that many rupies together. That's okay. All things in due time.
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, Two things stand like stone, Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own. --Adam Lindsay Gordon

Conn 22B
    Bach Stradivarius in C
    Jaegar D/Eb

Santa Cruz County, CA

Count me among the Great Unwashed who bought a picc before any other higher-pitched trumpet. I made money playing the picc before I owned any other higher-pitched trumpet.

Not only do I still own the first picc I bought, I'm still happy with it. Probably because it's the only piccolo trumpet I've *ever* played. Almost 29 years ago I bought my college instructor's Getzen Eterna picc -- he'd just bought a new Selmer and couldn't imagine playing the Getzen again. He was so disenchanted with the Getzen he sold it to me for $300. By that time I'd heard him play both, and while the Selmer sounded different, it didn't sound better -- at least to my ears.

A year later he tried to buy it back from me. That was enough to convince me I'd never need to upgrade, though I did invest in Blackburn leadpipes around 10 years later.

I'm sure there are better piccs out there, but I'm equally sure I don't make enough money playing picc to justify buying one. I'm happy with the Getzen, and nobody who pays me for playing it has complained.

So for almost 30 years I've let other players play the Getzen, all while (hopefully graciously) declining any offer to play any other picc. Here's to another 30 years of happy ignorance.
    Vulgano Brother likes this.
    J. Notso Nieuwguyski

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

It was a simple discussion with my late brother as to why I didn't produce a multi-brass recording of The Stars and Stripes, Forever! when I told him I couldn't play a C piccolo for the solos near the end and ddn't have a piccolo trumpet to transpose the solos to. Just about 4 weeks before my brother died, I received a Schilke P5-4 picc from him. There was no papers with it, thus I don't know if it was new or not, but it sure looked new. It was nearly a year later that I made the SSF recording. Yes, I said solos ... plural because the solo is reprised almost at the end, but it irks me that you won't hear it on the USMC rendition as they crescendoed the basses and drums at the end. Sousa didn't write such a crescendo!

The picc is a delicate playing instrument that the player should not over blow or attempt to scream with. I've since only used it to play two other songs, Hallelujah Chorus and Charge Of The Light Brigade, but I have practiced chromatic scales regularly with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information