Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Toothpaste Defeats Trumpeteering in the General forums; Just a simple question for you all - based on a discussion I had recently with a mate who does ...

Toothpaste Defeats Trumpeteering

Just a simple question for you all - based on a discussion I had recently with a mate who does a lot of Commemorative trumpeting (bugling). He is a member of the Royal Australian Navy Reserve Band and is called upon to celebrate the passing of Ex Servicemen at their funerals, a task I would be unable to complete, even though I can competently play the piece.

He tells me that he had a performance some time ago where his rendition of the Last Post was faulty and he couldn't work out why. His mouth was dry, and his wife, a nurse, worked out that the drying agent in his toothpaste could have been the cause.

Does anyone brush their teeth without paste prior to a performance, or is this a smokescreen (furfy)?
    Ted

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Re: Toothpaste Defeats Trumpeteering

hmmm, I have cleaned my teeth before gigs for eons and never had that problem.....I have found that my mouth dries out if sometimes if I am nervous though and that makes it harder to play. But there are lots of different types of toothpaste out there...don't use one if it makes your mouth dry out, I suppose.

I guess in theory it makes sense, doesn't make sense that this performance was the only time it happened though. If it truely was because of his toothpaste, you would think he would notice it every time he brushed his teeth.

I don't know about the dry mouth, but I found an old Jet-tone "Studio A" mouthpiece in a music store once, and a little bit of Crest toothpaste brought the shine out nicely!
    I gotta get me one of those cool slogans.....

New Friend

I'm not sure about toothpaste, but I know that for me I never use mouthwash before I play because that really dries out my mouth.
    Chris Bair
    Bach 72*
    Bach 3C

New Friend

I personally like to brush my teeth with toothpaste prior to playing...no dry mouth, but for me I feel that I play better with fresh breath Maybe it's the brand???

well when i brush my teeth before i play i usually have a little dryness but it goes away after a small warm up

Hmmmm, curioser and curioser - no definitive answer yet, perhaps our ICU Nurse has a thought?

I think, in fairness, this particular performance was closer to the teeth laundry than normal.
    Ted

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Weril EP4071 Pocket

I brush before I play, which can be several times a day. It never bothers me, and I actually have a problem with TOO much saliva during playing. The only problem I've had in regards to tooth paste is that the current paste I'm using is for sensitive teeth, and that paste apparently has some pain killing properties that somewhat numb my mouth (lips, tongue, etc.). It's only a very slight effect, but I can tell nonetheless. Otherwise, no, I've never had a problem with "dry mouth" associated with tooth paste. It may have been nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by commakozzi View Post
    I brush before I play, which can be several times a day. It never bothers me, and I actually have a problem with TOO much saliva during playing. The only problem I've had in regards to tooth paste is that the current paste I'm using is for sensitive teeth, and that paste apparently has some pain killing properties that somewhat numb my mouth (lips, tongue, etc.). It's only a very slight effect, but I can tell nonetheless. Otherwise, no, I've never had a problem with "dry mouth" associated with tooth paste. It may have been nerves.
    So, 90% mental, 9% physical, 1% toothpaste?
    Ted

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Weril EP4071 Pocket

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information