Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Topping off the Lungs-Breathing technique in the General forums; Originally Posted by wnaus Sounds like whatever your doing works for you and thats great. My original post is a ...
    Artitst in Residence
    Fortissimo User

Re: Topping off the Lungs-Breathing technique

Quote Originally Posted by wnaus View Post
    Sounds like whatever your doing works for you and thats great. My original post is a breathing technique that works for me but one size certainly doesn't fit all. Do you have any recordings I can buy?
    This one is still available-
    [ame=]YouTube - Bernstein - West Side Story - Cool - recording conducted by Bernstein[/ame]
    Be sure Brain is engaged before putting Mouthpiece in gear.
    S.Suark 1951

Georgia, USA

Quote Originally Posted by wiseone2 View Post
    This one is still available
    "Little by little, the bad news dribbles in."
    Phil M.
    1971 Schilke C1L
    1981 Schilke P5-4
    1972 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
    MPC: Schilke 14 screw rim w/ 20 bowl

Now that's being cool under pressure! (Pun intended)

I have the album and it is indeed extraordinary.

Rich T.

Pianissimo User

Wiseman2 thank you for your impressive recording! This will be my last respose to my original post "Topping Off The Lungs", I hope someone benefits by it. I have enjoyed the conversation. Good luck to all!!!

Damn! now thats good. :) thanks for the clip wise one. ha, makes me want to go practice sight reading :)
    super collegiate tri-tone (raw brass)

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    you know as well as anybody else that recordings of MUSIC do not normally make a deal of capturing the air intake sound. There are plenty of recordings available that show our musicality. Unfortunately none are geeky enough to focus on making common sense breathing audible. Your request therefore borders on proving nothing. If you are truly interested in our playing, a little research on your part will provide you more than enough sources.

Sniffing in the practice room MAY be a way to get a student to visualize the state of fuller lungs. It is senseless on stage. There the full breath should be exactly that as well as in time to aid rhythm. If you screw up the big breath in one shot, then you have more work for the practice room.

I teach the circle of breath. It works by connecting in and exhale with no bumps in between. The search function should help you find it. Once you understand the simplicity of the concept, you too can benefit from less work on stage. It is free and no CD is required to understand how it works. Sniffing for high notes was something some of us left behind in the late 60s/early 70s.

It is almost time to lock down this thread.
    Before you do let my clarify a few things. I never used this forum to sell or advertise my two books. I never mentioned them. I also never intended my breathing technique to be used to "sniff for high notes". I never mentioned high notes in my original post. This is apparently a light weight forum used primarily by non-players to advocate their "theories" which are not based on professional experience. If you had done your homework you would of seen who I am and who I have had the privilege of working with over the past 50 years. I am disappointed in this forum and will not visit it again. Good buy and good luck!
    Welcome to Wayne Naus' World

you obviously have not looked around very much here otherwise you would have seen how many experienced players participate and the nature of the threads. All threads are created equal. Good advice catches on, other types are discussed at length and not everything from accomplished players is accepted as gospel simply because it does not scale to other musicians.

It makes little difference how many people you or I have studied under, when teaching one on one many things are communicated without having to express them. Over the internet we have a different experience. There is much greater room for "misunderstanding". Why should we be "required to do "homework" when blogging with you on the internet. Do your posts not stand on their own content?

In your case and original post, you recommended sniffing, which in my professional opinion clearly is not a replacement for a proper breath. The dangers of "sniffing" (additional tension, loss of rhythm...) show that your idea has its "problems". You have not been able to clear that up in the course of this thread and now we are supposed to feel sorry because we do not meet your expectations?

I am sorry that you are for the second time disappointed and not coming back, but I guess that comes with the territory.

I have closed the thread as you are no longer available here for clarification. If you want it opened up again, PM me.

Good luck sniffing.
    Last edited by rowuk; 01-17-2010 at 03:24 PM.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread Information