Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Tounge Arch/Range Slurs in the General forums; Can anyone give me any tips with learning/trying to add a tounge arch to their playing? Also any bad habits ...
    Pianissimo User

Tounge Arch/Range Slurs

Can anyone give me any tips with learning/trying to add a tounge arch to their playing? Also any bad habits or things to avoid when learning this would be good too.

Also are there any ways to tell whether a tounge arch is something that would be benificial to add or not?

Lastly, for the past 2 or so months I've been trying a few lip slur excercises given to me to specifically work on my range. I found they haven't worked and was suggested to try octave slurs instead of the more scale slurs + the up/down slurs going through the 0,2,1,12,23,123 pattern provided to me then. I was told I need to "find the key to unlock my upper register" with the only limitation not to back off the air in the higher notes. (Always use more air the higher you go). Any suggestions on where to go from here? Any other things I should try?

Thanks for reading and posting.

Forte User

Re: Tounge Arch/Range Slurs

It sounds to me as though you need a good private teacher who can help you. I think you are confused by the questions you asked. No one here can teach you over the internet. The best way to learn is to get a teacher. It makes learning much easier.

Forte User

removal of suggestion
    Last edited by Markie; 03-09-2010 at 11:57 AM.

Pianissimo User

I'll be able to ask my teacher about this too on Thursday. I'm just really wondering if there is a way to tell if this is something to add to my playing or not. I believe it to be related somewhat to embochure changes and I don't want to get into any of that without being really sure of what I'm doing.
    Last edited by john7401; 03-09-2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: re-wording

Forte User

It's related to an embochure change
    --------------
    OY!! embrochure change? What's that?
    Allow me to recind my earlier advice and suggest you please do what your teacher says.
    The internet will often make people think that the world is their oyster because they can access anything.
    On the contrary, the world is not our oyster, it only feels like it. Accessability does not equal knowledge. Appriciate the difference.
    With that said, you have to be careful what you believe.
    Believe in your teacher.
    It's really a toss up as to which is more destructive, just plain bad information or good information in inept hands.
    LISTEN TO YOUR TEACHER!!!
    Last edited by Markie; 03-09-2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: correction

Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by john7401 View Post
    Can anyone give me any tips with learning/trying to add a tounge arch to their playing? Also any bad habits or things to avoid when learning this would be good too.

Also are there any ways to tell whether a tounge arch is something that would be benificial to add or not?

Lastly, for the past 2 or so months I've been trying a few lip slur excercises given to me to specifically work on my range. I found they haven't worked and was suggested to try octave slurs instead of the more scale slurs + the up/down slurs going through the 0,2,1,12,23,123 pattern provided to me then. I was told I need to "find the key to unlock my upper register" with the only limitation not to back off the air in the higher notes. (Always use more air the higher you go). Any suggestions on where to go from here? Any other things I should try?

In my opinion any advice you get on the internet about tongue arch, air speed, octave slurs, etc, etc, will do more harm than good. You have a teacher, so listen to him. There will be no quick fix that will dramatically increase your range. diligent practice will make your lower range stronger first, and then higher notes will come. Without a strong foundation, you won't build higher. Two months is nothing.

Listen to your teacher and practice often and diligently. Practice EVERY day. No breaks for weekends, holidays, or summer break.

Pianissimo User

Here's some free stuff that should help.

Trumpet Lesson Articles
    Claude Gordon Trumpet and Brass Playing Lectures

I will also address this question at my upcoming trumpet and brass camp. There are several other people presenting great stuff. I am sure you will find the presentation about the tongue and video fluoroscopy very interesting. I will do 4 presentations on Claude Gordon's teachings and specifics of how to apply it. The 4th presentation will get very specific with how to use different books and combine them into a practice routine structure.

Take a look at this YouTube video which summarizes the camp and even shows a good sample of the HD Video I will stream to online viewers. Click play, then you can select "720p HD" and full-screen to see it at the best quality.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug9yfixbB-0]YouTube - Purtle.com Brass Camp - July 16-17, 2010[/ame]
    Jeff Purtle
    Purtle Brass Conference
    Trumpet Lessons Online since 2004
    Innovating Your Practice, Unleashing Your Potential™
    864-354-3223

New Friend

At the risk of usurping authority over your teacher, the lip slur excersizes I've used thus far have mostly been from Arban's, Earl Irons', and Bai Lin's books. It seems to be a pretty good combo for me, but yeah, for sure go with your teacher
    ♫♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪
    Bach 180S37
    Yamaha Xeno YTR-8445

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by john7401 View Post

The Charles Colin book (advanced lip flexibilities) is really good, but consult your teacher and build up range slowly - at the speed of a glacier travelling down a fjord.

Forte User

"at the speed of a glacier", this I can relate to!, three years ago I asked my teacher how do I get to a double C, her reply was "when you find out let me know", my playing range then was an A on the 1st ledger line. With diligent practice using Bob Odneal's "Casual Double High C" book I have extended my playing range to E above high C and the G is starting to come.

Since retirement I have more time to devote to the trumpet and at 72 at the end of the month I am playing better than ever and keep improving.

Regards, Stuart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information