Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss trigger trumpets in the General forums; Only horn I own with a 1st valve trigger is my Getzen 900H. I rarely use it but keep it ...

Re: trigger trumpets

Only horn I own with a 1st valve trigger is my Getzen 900H. I rarely use it but keep it working just in case. I use 3rd valve ring for low C# and that's all. Everything else is lipped if needed.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Generally, there is less chance of a mechanical breakdown if you lip the notes into tune .... Or, not?

Turtle
    tobylou8 likes this.
    Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

www.soundcloud.com/turtlejimmy

I'm not too picky. I can deal with either. However, when I get my custom shop Taylor before too long I'll be getting rings...

Kujo
    ​Kujo
    1914 Holton Revelation Cornet
    1929 Stroud Baby Grand Piano
    1950's Hammond M3 Organ

It's always a 1-poster that dredges up some 2-3yo thread just to say "I agree!" ??

if you don't have a permanant liar attachment.
    I got a divorce, so my permanent liar attachment is disconnected. The lyre on my trumpet still works fine.
    tobylou8 and turtlejimmy like this.

I know it may sound like I'm trigger happy, but if the ring is working well on a trumpet, it's a tossup and I wouldn't really prefer one over the other (ring or trigger). But, overall, I only have two ringed horns that work that well...

My Getzen Severinsen, for example, has a 3rd slide valve and ring that has always worked beatifully and the little plastic "stop rod" works great too. While I'm at it, the balance of the Severinsen is as good as my Recording, I think, and that helps a lot to make the 3rd slide work so easily. And my Conn 8B Artist, which has a very nice stop rod, has always worked easily.

Stella (Conn 10B) has a fixed ring, but is hard as heck to get moving, and it's not in a good place for my fingers. .... and my Eastman 420g has a 3rd slide that moves way too easily and, if the little "stop" screw isn't screwed in, can go flying right off the trumpet (which it has, more than once). I'm planning on having the tech work on the 10B, but I don't like the Eastman enough to do anything about it (other than designate it my travel trumpet).

Turtle
    tobylou8 likes this.
    Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

www.soundcloud.com/turtlejimmy

Piano User

My first experience with triggers was long ago when I had just started taking trumpet lessons. My teacher had just acquired an Olds Mendez which had triggers on the first and third slides. One day when he had been pleased with my progress he allowed me to take the lesson using his Mendez. It was too early to worry about tone adjustment using slides so I never got to use them. My impression and from what I've read here, most including myself prefer rings and saddles. My flugle has a third slide trigger which I use and as most flugles seem to have that trigger I wonder how many use it?

I like my Recording trigger. I did not at first - kept scraping my finger on the mechanism. Plus my brain took a while to change direction. Now I go with either just fine.

As for the problem with returning once the valve is back up - one could put a small hole in the valve body to relieve the pressure. A Xeno I previously owned was set up that way.

And the issue of no stop for the ring - I solved that with my leather valve cluster wrap (not sure what it is really called - valve protector?) and a short piece of ribbon tied to the ring.

I don't know how else one would do a flugel other than a trigger. And I do use the 3rd slide trigger. I never could wrap my brain around the 1st slide mechanism - trigger or saddle or ring.
    Old Dam Community Band
    Olds Recording
    B&S Challenger II Cornet
    Conn 6B
    Conn 36B
    Stomvi Elite
    King Flugel
    Getzen Eterna

Mezzo Forte User

wouldn't be a helluva lot easier to play a little flat or sharp?

Are you talking about lipping the notes, or just playing them as they lay on the horn?
    Olde Towne Brass
    www.otbrass.com

Brass Band of Huntsville
    www.brassbandofhuntsville.com

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Banned Fortissimo User

I have a 1st valve trigger and I love it. The only reason I would get a trumpet without a 1st valve trigger is if it was a Taylor with Phat rings.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information