Trumpet Discussion Discuss Trouble in paradise in the General forums; If you saw an earlier post of mine, I posted that I got a new pocket trumpet. I've been playing ...

Trouble in paradise

If you saw an earlier post of mine, I posted that I got a new pocket trumpet. I've been playing it now as my main horn and uh oh, I have a problem. For some reason, after I'm playing for awhile it seems like spit gets stuck deep inside the horn somewhere. Blowing out the spit valves doesn't help. And so as I'm playing the notes crackle with the spit sound. I've tried removing the bottom caps, and sometimes there's quite a bit of spit in them. But I can't very well be taking the caps off every song. I think I recall French horn players having a similar issue. Any ideas?
    bah do dweeeee bah do bleep blop

Re: Trouble in paradise

Try the following:

#1: Take out the tuning slide and turn the horn so water collected near the 3 valve comes out.
    #2: Take out 2 valve slide. Push down all valves and blow hard. (Also open/close valves fast when blowing)
    #3: It might collect water where the bell is connected to the valves. Turn the instrument (slowly) so the water can come out of the bell.
    If you can not stand up as a good role model, please sit down!

Chicago Custom X-VR Lead

BrassNor Alexander Custom cornet
    BrassNor Versatile Bb Custom trumpet

I have a Carol Brass Pocket Trumpet, and have the same problem with water getting trapped in the horn. It's not a big problem, but it's more of an issue than with my other trumpets.

The Amado water key off the lead pipe isn't all that useful. I either take out the tuning slide and blow the water out, or I take out the mouthpiece and rotate the horn backwards to let the water flow out of the mouthpiece receiver. And occasionally, I take out the first valve slide and blow the water out.

Nordlandstrompet made some great suggestions.

Bach Stradivarius 43* (1974), Bach 3C Mouthpiece.
    Getzen 896 Eterna Flugelhorn (1974), Curry 3FL Mouthpiece.
    Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, and Besson horns.

Phoenix AZ

I have the same problem with a pocket horn.

1. Hold trumpet as normal;

2. Tilt 90 degrees to the left (i.e., counter clockwise) so that the valves are horizontal, with the valve buttons pointing to your left;

3. Angle the bell up a few degrees;

4. Press down 3rd valve and blow (some folks find it best to remove the mouthpiece before blowing);

5. Press down 2nd valve and blow;

6. Press down 1st valve and blow;

7. Rotate 90 degrees counter clockwise so that valve buttons are pointing straight down;

8. Tilt bell downwards and lots of water runs out clearing all parts of the instrument!

Works on mine.

Wow thanks! I'm gonna print this thread out and give things a try. It's also good to know it's not just me and this particular horn.
    bah do dweeeee bah do bleep blop

Thread Information