Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Trumpet Advice For An Uneducated Dad in the General forums; Originally Posted by BrassEye Robin's advice is spot on. To offer some more specific input, re: the two you mentioned ...

Re: Trumpet Advice For An Uneducated Dad

Quote Originally Posted by BrassEye View Post
    Robin's advice is spot on.

To offer some more specific input, re: the two you mentioned - I play a Yamaha 4335GS (which, I am assuming is an updated version of the 4325S) professionally.
    A little OT, but I believe the "G" denotes a gold brass bell (it does on my 8335RGS).
    2006 Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS
    1987 Conn 100B "Doc Severinsen"
    1946 Conn 22B "New York Symphony"
    1927 Conn 6A

Forte User

I think Rowuk's advice was very good. It is going to be her horn for a while, possibly all the way into college. Give her a budget, have her do the research. Once she tells you what she has found, talk about it with her and ask why she thinks her possible choices are good (just to check she actually did do her job, not saying anything about her, but kids are kids). Suggest that she could shoot for a better horn if she puts in some of her own money that might have been saved for a little while (an additional 250 could go a long way on a used horn).
    The first trumpet I bought was a Yamaha (4420). I still have it and it plays pretty much like day one, even after a few seasons of marching band with long bus rides and winter outings.
    Philippe.

Selmer Radial, Bb.
    Yamaha YTR4420E, C.
    1930 Couesnon cornet

A mind that masters the breath
    Creates strength (Lao-Tzu).

Pianissimo User

The G does indeed denote a gold brass bell on my 4335GS.

New Friend

Totally disagree. Maintenance on Chinese horns is ridiculous and at her age, it needs to be considered. You can't skimp in quality for price at any level, in my opinion.

New Friend

I could not agree more. At any level the player of the horn should be involved. Players and horns must be "married" and that only happens with fair face time. The financial responsibility is something I had not thought about so thanks. I'll add that to my "soapbox".

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    I have a bit of a different approach.

Your daughter has shown enough interest to be at the top of the heap. I say get HER involved in the decision. This can be a very good lesson in financial responsibility. Get HER to ask questions here. Get HER to do some web research. Get HER to create a shortlist of possibilities from EBay, Craigslist and other sources.

An used instrument could be a Holton, King, Getzen, Yamaha, Olds.

I agree with Dave that a new Carol, Berkeley or Eastman trumpet should also be on the shortlist.

Other than the normal EBay and Craigslist, you should consider some of the heavy retail hitters or even specialty shops:

Austincustombrass is run by Trent Austin, who is a member here and VERY respected.
    Dillonmusic.com has a BIG inventory of new and used.

CALL THEM. Tell them exactly what you are looking for - better yet, have youlr daughter call them and you just be there to help!

Based on the two instruments that you mentioned, the Yamaha would be my choice.

Here is Nick Drozdoff running a Getzen 490 though its paces.
    Nick Drozdoff: Home
    Go to the media area.
    The other choices mentioned are also excellent and she should be involved in the selection. A beginner would not know the difference, but at her level, she may have a distinct preference.
    Rich T.

New Friend

Thanks again for all the advice!

We are gradually narrowing the choice down and have been in contact with a gentleman selling a Getzen Capri for $470. It was reconditioned 6 mos ago and has been played very little since. We hope to go look at it tomorrow evening. Is the Capri a good model for what we are looking?

Okay.. the Capri is a great horn but keep in mind they usually have 1st valve thumb triggers. The young man I had checking out horns played a Holton I had (pro model) and he instantly didn't like the feel of the "wrap" basically the left hand around the valves. It had a thumb trigger. If your daughter has small hands then it might not feel comfortable to her. If the Capri is Silver then 450 is a fair price.. not a great price but fair. I think the 700 series is a better horn and it has a saddle instead of a trigger. I found a Getzen 770SP ( the Sam Ash version of the 700 ) that I am selling to this student for 450.
    This is just my opinion and some other members might have a different take on that horn.
    Price is also dependant on what area you live ... what is your general geographic location, if you don't mind me asking.
    !
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

Getzen : Trumpet

.... will give you the heritage of the Getzen line 300 series, 400 series, Capri, 700 series, 900 series etc.

I bought a 700S Eterna II new and played it for quite a few years - my neice is now keeping it warm and
    I have now two other horns, one is a Getzen Eterna Classic (900 series) - fabulous sound and valves but
    a little light in the gauge of the material to be truly robust. The 700 is a much more robust build - 'solid'
    if you will, without spoiling the intonation at all.

You can't really go wrong with a 700 IMHO and the prices are good, AND they always come in silver.
    tobylou8 and coolerdave like this.
    Ted

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

The 770 is made with nickel slides ... easier to maintain than brass, I don't think anyone could tell the diff between a 700 and the 770 either.. both are very nice
    tedh1951 likes this.
    !
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information