Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Trumpet Advice For An Uneducated Dad in the General forums; Hi! I am new to this forum and am open to any and all suggestions. My daughter is 13 and ...
    New Friend

Trumpet Advice For An Uneducated Dad

Hi! I am new to this forum and am open to any and all suggestions. My daughter is 13 and is in 8th grade. This is her 4th year playing the trumpet and she really enjoys it. She is 1st seat in concert band and jazz band. Her current trumpet is old and needs to be replaced. She would like a silver trumpet. I have been given advice to look for an intermediate level trumpet. Like many parents with children, price is a concern and I would like to keep it to $500 or less if possible.

I have found a couple local options on CraigsList. One is a Bach TR300 listed for $350. It is gold with a few minor dings but in good working order according to the seller.

The second is a Yamaha YTR 4325S that is silver and is listed for $500.

Are either of these a good buy?

I am not familiar at all with trumpets and want to buy the best I can afford for her. From here, the next upgrade may be in high school if she decides to carry her playing on into college or other areas.

Thank you for any help!

Banned Mezzo Piano User

Re: Trumpet Advice For An Uneducated Dad

Just about anything made by Yamaha is great. However take care to have a real professional play any instrument you are thinking of purchasing first.

If you live in Northern California? Get a hold of Rich Welker here: Bronstein Music 1-800-231-3421

Ask Rich if he has any new "Image" trumpets. These are Chinese imports but play as well as a professional quality horn. For around $500.00 new w/case.

For a very fine website and a man you can trust, Fred Cirksena, go here.
    He has some very fine trumpets from student to top line pro horns at very reasonable prices and stands behind his products.
    There are some Getzen 490 "intermediate" horns for sale. Nick Drozdoff, a superb player and Chicagoland pro, highly endorses this model horn. He actually uses one!
    Call Fred and he will give you some fine advice. I've purchased three horns from him and his customer service and prices are top notch!
    Rich T.

If I had t pick one of those two I'd choose the Yamaha

Rochester, NY

OK, here's a differing opinion...You have an intermediate price range, so perhaps you might want to think a little differently than traditional names- that way you can get more horn for the price. 10 years ago Chinese made trumpets started to become better in quality (everyone learns if they try)- just like Japanese horns (i.e. Yamaha, began as crap in the 60's and eventually in the late 80's became one of the better horns out there).

So, what would I suggest? If she can play and compare I would suggest Wiseman or Carrol (both of which are Chinese- well Carrol I believe is Hoxon Gakki in Taiwan?), this might give you at this time better bang for your buck!
    Yamaha Xeno
    '54 Conn 28b Connstellation

Warburton 1MD/Austin Custom Brass A1 Backbore
    Bach 1D (custom rim)
    Austin Custom Brass, Custom Lead Mouthpiece (14A-A1)

"There's no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger & unhappiness"
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Wenatchee, WA

In addition to the Getzen 490 series, the Getzen Capri and Getzen Eterna 700 series are also very good horns that can be found in your price range. (There is also a '700 Special', but you want the 'Eterna' version from what I have heard.)

Another good used horn that you see in your price range is the Bach Omega.
    Last edited by JDay; 10-13-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Go for the YTR 4325S but make sure it has all of the extras, oil, mouthpiece(s), any mutes, cleaning material, music, extra music,
    car keys........

Also be sure to have a trumpet player check out the horn for any problems....stuck slides, valve problems, stuck mouthpiece.

Also... pull the tuning slide and look down the leadpipe. If it is clean, chances are the owner took care of the horn.

Very small dings in the bell area are acceptable but if you see any dents in the leadpipe, pass on the deal.

Dayton, Ohio

Yamaha and Getzen are both good choices for the type of instrument you are looking at for your daughter. If it were me, being a resident of the United States, our economy needs all the help possible. The more US horns sold, the more US jobs we will keep (hopefully add), so for that reason, I would go with Getzen, Made in the USA.
    acarcido and mgcoleman like this.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

New Friend

Thank you all for the great advice! I live in east central Iowa and will check out the web sites that were recommended as well as make special note of the brands and models you have mentioned here.

I have a bit of a different approach.

Your daughter has shown enough interest to be at the top of the heap. I say get HER involved in the decision. This can be a very good lesson in financial responsibility. Get HER to ask questions here. Get HER to do some web research. Get HER to create a shortlist of possibilities from EBay, Craigslist and other sources.

An used instrument could be a Holton, King, Getzen, Yamaha, Olds.

I agree with Dave that a new Carol, Berkeley or Eastman trumpet should also be on the shortlist.

Other than the normal EBay and Craigslist, you should consider some of the heavy retail hitters or even specialty shops:

Austincustombrass is run by Trent Austin, who is a member here and VERY respected. has a BIG inventory of new and used.

CALL THEM. Tell them exactly what you are looking for - better yet, have youlr daughter call them and you just be there to help!

Based on the two instruments that you mentioned, the Yamaha would be my choice.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information