Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Trumpet buying/Trying advice for an old amatuer in the General forums; I went to the NAMM show and played many and liked The Getzen 3003 Genesis the best with the Bach ...
    Los Angeles, CA

Re: Trumpet buying/Trying advice for an old amatuer

I went to the NAMM show and played many and liked The Getzen 3003 Genesis the best with the Bach NY 7 as my second favorite. I am also self taught but can read music as I took piano lessons for many years as a kid.
    2010 Getzen 3895 Custom Flugelhorn - Silver w/Gold Brass Bell
    2010 Getzen 3850 Custom Cornet
    2009 Bach Stradivarius New York 7
    1956 Olds Recording
    1920 Abbott Mfg Company

Monette B6 S1 / Kanstul G2
    Monette B6-FL - Cornet
    Kanstul C.G. Personal F - Flugelhorn

Ithaca NY

It seems if the lost Selmer had back pressure, then the Callet Jazz, with it's big bore and openness is a quite different.

To reproduce the tightness/back pressure, you need to look for a horn with more resistance or a mouthpiece which gives you that on the Callet. The Genesis mentioned above is not a "tight" horn by any means, although with one of the tighter leadpipes than the O or S which it comes with you may be able to get more resistance. With either the O or S pipe, my Genesis is an open blowing, dark sounding, fairly loose slotting horn.

That is why I suggested trying smaller bores. Perhaps it would be helpful if we knew what model Selmer you had and what mouthpiece you play.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Pianissimo User
    Perth, Western Australia

From the kind of playing you describe and the instruments I've played, I'd choose a Kanstul Chicago. But that's just me. My friend, who is a jazz player, tried the Chicago and didn't like it at all. Go figure.
    I've also recently discovered Hammond Design mouthpieces work very well for me. But again, that's just me.

San Pedro

There are alot of players who know about this than I do but I bet you should have some different size mouthpieces to try with the horns as well... I have never been able to switch up but I have seen players say this horn plays better with this mouthpiece..
    Does anyone have anything to add to this?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information