Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Trumpet Cross Training? in the General forums; I have at times thought about picking up a baritone or euphonium for fun that as I have heard has ...
    Piano User

Trumpet Cross Training?

I have at times thought about picking up a baritone or euphonium for fun that as I have heard has the same fingerings as a trumpet, but obviously a very different embouchure, looser lips, etc.. A friend that I play music with that plays tuba said that doing so would really help my ability on the trumpet because playing a larger instrument would require a lot more air but I also know a very different embouchure and not sure if the latter would hurt my trumpet playing more than it would help. Another friend that plays trumpet with me has a baritone and I tested it out once and thought it seemed like a whole different beast to try to take on. I'm presuming that on a trumpet forum that most would say why the BLANK would you want to play something else like a baritone, but at least wondering what others experiences are that have played both and if you recommend the baritone or the euphonium. I know when I was young and in school band that the band leader tried to convince some trumpet players to play baritone because he didn't have any baritones, but back then I only cared about trumpet playing and not much has changed, but it could be fun to tinker with.
    Bach Stradivarius 180S37
    Conn Connstellation

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Re: Trumpet Cross Training?

It all depends on where you want to go with your playing. A well-rounded professional will have a lot of "weapons" in his arsenal. But, as you have seen, it is not a trivial matter. It takes time and effort. Done properly, it will help your overall playing and not hurt it. For baritone/euphonium and tuba, you will need to learn to read bass clef but again, that is just a matter of practice.

I played baritone for years and was able to switch without any problem. I would do it again if our band needed that instrument and had too many trumpets. It is always a benefit to have additional skills.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

Fingering for baritone and euphonium is only the same as trumpet/cornet when the music in the G / treble clef. It gets tougher because most music in F/bass clef as if written for a C instrument. I have played ALL brass from picc to suzy and will say I didn't have a problem with mpc size and I believe such strengthens the lips and facial muscles more than just any single instrument. Yes, certainly such trains in more endurance/stamina.
    Last edited by Ed Lee; 03-03-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Mezzo Forte User

I know a guy who doubles on trombone from trumpet, mostly because there are some gigs that require a trombone, but already have a lead trumpet player. I don't think he really does the trombone justice, it still sounds like a trumpet. He doesn't do the pedal tones etc. He even plays a valve trombone sometimes.

It sounds good, but it is fairly obvious that he isn't into the trombone in a serious way.

Quote Originally Posted by kctrumpeteer View Post
    A friend that I play music with that plays tuba said that doing so would really help my ability on the trumpet ....
    I play a little bass trumpet. But I don't do it to be a better trumpet player. I do it mainly for fun.

And at least for me personally, I don't agree with your friend's assertion that playing a low brass instrument would help your ability to play the trumpet.
    Bach Stradivarius 43* (1974), Bach 3C Mouthpiece.
    Getzen 896 Eterna Flugelhorn (1974), Curry 3FL Mouthpiece.
    Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, and Besson horns.

New Friend

My instructor sometimes brings out a baritione for me to play in our lessons and even had me get a trombone mouth piece to use in buzzing. It has the same fingers and you can play music in the treble clef but an octave lower. I think it help eveything. You definitely have to put more air into the horn that what is required for the trumpet. I actually thought about getting a baritione but decided to get a flugelhorn instead (flugelhorns are a lot easier to carry around). SO I don't think it will hurt you any and more than likely will help you to relax your throat and get more air into the horn.

Go for it man! I suggest euphonium...

When I was in high school I played trumpet, french horn, and euphonium (trumpet as primary). I think that it was a big helper in developing my trumpet playing and musicality in general. I personally think that it helped with developing my tone as well. The fingerings will come right along for you if you work at it.

So I say go for it, and have fun! If you have any other questions, just PM me.
    1914 Holton Revelation Cornet
    1929 Stroud Baby Grand Piano
    1950's Hammond M3 Organ

Santa Cruz County, CA

In the US, just about every horn called a baritone is really a euphonium anyway. True baritones are only found in traditional brass bands.
    J. Notso Nieuwguyski

Piano User

As an interesting side note on doing a little research on baritones and euphoniums, I can say that although they are different instruments that there are some myths about one having the bell face out or face up and myths about 3 valves versus 4 valves as well as a few other myths... basically you can have a baritone or a euphonium and compensating and have 4 valves on either and I have seen both that have upright and forward facing bells... although the overall size of a baritone appears to be smaller than the counter part Euphonium.

A guy I take lessons with said a baritone would be most like the sound I am used to with a trumpet and a euphonium would be more like a lower octave of a flugelhorn.

Its not a priority to get, but I have seen some craigslist models for anywhere from $150-750 which is not too crazy for an instrument. Especially on the cheaper model. I suppose a real cool oddity would be if I could come across a double bell model that used to be made that I think combined qualities of both in one instrument or qualities of a trombone/baritone into one model...

In regards to relating to trumpet playing, even tonight I was working on some things with making sure that I have full air stream playing through my notes, so I suppose in theory if I had to get used to producing more air for say playing a baritone/euphonium then it would make it easier for get my air supply up for trumpet.. Its a theory at least.
    Bach Stradivarius 180S37
    Conn Connstellation

Do it.You'll enjoy it and it will help your breathing.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information