Trumpet Discussion Discuss TRUMPET DAY at UW-Milwaukee, masterclasses w/Herseth & m in the General forums; Announcing the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee TRUMPET DAY Date: Saturday, March 13th 9:00am-5:00pm Place: UWM Department of Music Recital Hall, 3223 ...
    Piano User

TRUMPET DAY at UW-Milwaukee, masterclasses w/Herseth & m

Announcing the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee TRUMPET DAY
    Date: Saturday, March 13th 9:00am-5:00pm

Place: UWM Department of Music Recital Hall, 3223 Downer Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53201

Cost: $15 in advance, $20 at the door

EVENTS:
    9:00am
    Registration

9:30-10:45am
    Masterclass with Kevin Hartman, Professor of Trumpet at UWM

11:00-12:00pm
    Mouthpiece and equipment clinic presented by Scott Laskey of Laskey mouthpieces

12:00-2:00pm
    Lunch Break and Visit Exhibits

2:00-4:00pm
    Masterclass with Adolph Herseth, Principal Trumpet Emeritus - Chicago Symphony Orchestra

4:00-5:00pm
    Recital

Exhibitors to include:
    Bach Trumpets

Kanstul Trumpets

Laskey Mouthpieces

Charlie Melk of Charlie's Brass Works

Local music stores, possibly other instrument makers

For more information and directions to the UWM campus, please contact me via PM or Email. I also recommend using MapQuest for directions to campus.

Ask me for a Trumpet Day flyer. These are in .PDF format, so you can print them and send in the included order form for advance registration.

I encourage anyone and everyone to come to this great event. What an opportunity to see Mr. Herseth for the people of the Midwest!!

Regards,

Eric Sperry
    Graduate Student in Trumpet Performance
    University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
    Eric Sperry
    www.ericsperry.com
    2015 Bach LT1901B
    1967 Bach 37
    2010 Bach Philadelphia
    1978 L.A. Benge Piccolo
    1980s Callet New York Flugel
    1960s Olds Ambassador Cornet

Piano User
    I'd love to go, but I've only been playing for 1.6 years, and I'm onnly 13. Is there some sort of age and experience limit?
    And what about that recital? Do you have to prepare a piece in advance for it, and play it in front of everyone?
    Don't think my dad would want me to go, as the place would be full of strangers.

Piano User
    Hi, thanks for the message. You are more than welcome to come over to Milwaukee for this event. There is absolutely no age limit whatsover. In fact, I really encourage you to come see and hear some great trumpet playing and learn some good techniques for improving your own playing. Seeing some of the world's great players while you are young can really provide some great motivation, and give you role models. The chance to see Adolph Herseth is now almost the chance of a lifetime, as he isn't playing as much as he used to. He is in his 80s now. Herseth has set the standard of orchestral trumpet playing. His musicality, power, finesse, and love of music are things that every trumpet player should aspire to have. I know I do.

I should have been clear on the recital details. The recital will feature the UWM trumpet ensemble and Professor Kevin Hartman. This will be a good opportunity to hear some good trumpet playing and to see how Kevin Hartman plays what he teaches. This will be an "inside" recital, meaning that students and faculty from UWM are performing (including me) for everyone who attends.

I really cannot encourage people enough to attend this event. From the greatest orchestral trumpeter of all time, to trumpet and mouthpiece manufacturers, to one of the best custom work/repair persons in the United States, this will be a very good time for all who attend.

Hope that answers your questions!

Oh, Lazorphase, bring your Dad along, then he can see what the great world of trumpet playing is all about, if he doesn't know already!
    Eric Sperry
    www.ericsperry.com
    2015 Bach LT1901B
    1967 Bach 37
    2010 Bach Philadelphia
    1978 L.A. Benge Piccolo

Piano User
    sorry, my dad said I can't go.
    We'd have to go on the Friday, after school, and drive for 6 hours, get a hotel, and my dad wouldn't have anything to do that day (kind of boring for him, he's a guitar player.)After the thing ends, we'd drive home for 6 hours, get back at midnight.
    But if anyone from the Minneapolis-area is planning on going, maybe I could get a ride over to their house, and carpool. But my dad probably wouldn't let me, 'cuz he'd think that someone was lying to us, and even if they weren't, he probably wouldn't like the idea of me being over there unsupervised all day.

New Friend
    And a splendid time it was - thanks for posting this here, otherwise I never would have heard about it.

Dave

New Friend
    Ditto it was great!
    -Jazz
    o-iii-O
    UgHs Band!!

Piano User
    I agree, what a fun day! I'm glad that people were able to make it to see Mr. Herseth. Lots of good information from Scott Laskey too.
    Eric Sperry
    www.ericsperry.com
    2015 Bach LT1901B
    1967 Bach 37
    2010 Bach Philadelphia
    1978 L.A. Benge Piccolo

Piano User
    wouldn't have been able to make it anyway, as I had to leave for my grandad's funeral on saturday.

Thread Information