Trumpet Discussion Discuss Trumpet Exercises in the General forums; Can anyone suggest exercises or practice methods that will help me play with a better tone and just all around ...

Trumpet Exercises

Can anyone suggest exercises or practice methods that will help me play with a better tone and just all around cleaner? Lately I've notice my playing isn't so clean >=l

I'm not looking for a long practise session, just something thats like 10 minutes or so.

Thanks a bunch =)

North Alabama

Re: Trumpet Exercises

You can try the Balanced Embouchure method by Jeff Smiley. I just started this week and already notice a difference. Just the pedal tone excercises themselves are worth their weight in gold.

It is adaptable to fit the time you want to spend on it.

Their is a BE forum over at the TH, or you can check out Jeff's website for more info.
    The Balanced Embouchure

Hope this helps,

Trumpet - 1966 Olds Ambassador
    Mouthpiece -Stork VM10
    New BE Student

Mezzo Forte User

Well, ten minutes isn't a long time, but you might try Number 3 from the Stamp book. It's great for centering the sound and getting the air flowing.

As for cleaner, slow down anything that's sloppy and gradualy work it faster. Don't sacrifice clarity for speed.

Good luck...

the best way to sound better is to listen to better, clearer sounds right before you play. Playing duets with another "nice sounding" player will get you there faster than any other 10 minutes that I know of.
    I use long tones to get refocussed. I start as softly as possible, crescendo only to mf and then back to nothing. You need to keep the pitch very steady during this process. No vibrato or wavering.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

I like the exercises in the Irons book. Middle register, soft, and like Rowuk said- going for the "center" of the pitch and keeping it steady really works.

I like to use the Clarke no 2. Set the metronome at 80 and start on the 1st space F and work down to low G, do F again and work your way up to middle C. You don't have to repeat them. Play at a comfortable volume the softer the better. The goal is to focus on a consistent air stream from start to finish. Like a long tone with some valve movement. I find that I am able to really concentrate on my tone when doing these exercises this way. When things are working well I will alternate between a slur and a legato tongue. If you can keep the consistent airstream feel with the legato tongue you get the feeling everything is going to be all right. When the air and lips are working well your concept of good trumpet tone can come through.

Hope this helps

Lawler PS 1
    Curry 3c

Thread Information