Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Trumpet Discussion Discuss trumpet and french horn in the General forums; Just to clear up a couple of misconceptions. - the Bb side does not have all of the notes available. ...
    Fortissimo User
    in exile from Germany

Re: trumpet and french horn

Just to clear up a couple of misconceptions.

- the Bb side does not have all of the notes available. The notes (bass clef) from bottom line Gb to second line Bb are unavailable and have to be played on the F horn.

Also, I'd have a hard time saying that the middle to lower range notes on the F horn don't carry and shouldn't be used (in favour of the Bb side) when most of the professional American Horn players play on the F side of the Horn below treble clef G.

Regarding using Bb all the time, many surely do prefer that. While American beginners are usually given F Horns (if single horns) in Germany they're given Bb single horns and many German double horn players make the Bb/F break lower than American players.

Regarding embouchure, I do not take the mpc off of my embouchure and make a shift in position nor have ever been taught to do that.

Lastly, regarding the F Horn as being irrelevant, that would surprise the wonderful players in Vienna, who play F horns exclusively.
    You can't blow it if you haven't lived it.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    Chet Baker

Schilke B7
    Martin Committee (1956)
    Connstellation 38B (1959)
    LA Benge 3X (1970s)
    Hans Hoyer G-10 Geyer Horn

New Friend

I was a member of an Army band for 6 years. I enlisted as a trumpet player, and for a significant portion of that time I was doing double duty, playing trumpet in the stage band and solo french horn in the concert band. I never had any problems.

Pianissimo User

it's EASY...just keep a 1/3 up 2/3 down embouchure on trumpet and a 2/3 up 1/3 down on french horn(or any other lower brass instrument, i actually use this on flugel as well)

I tried it this past winter. I thought it would be easy but it was not. The embrochure is more different than I thought and the partials are a lot closer than I ever expected. The difficult in the partials when performing harmonic slurs on the trumpet is the same feeling as when I played the French Horn, excpet all the time. The French Horn was so much harder to me and gave new meaning to "hearing the note first" before playing it.

In my humble experience, the trumpet is hard enough and needs my full attention that any distraction taken by another inistrument is not a good thing. But, I know several talented people who do play both; they are music majors. I am not talented like them, so I gave the French Horn back to the person I barrowed it from.

There is so much good in the worst of us,
    And so much bad in the best of us,
    That it hardly behooves any of us
    To talk about the rest of us.

Edward Wallis Hoch, Marion (Kansas) Record
    (1849 - 1925)

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

As earlier stated, I started out on a non-compensating French Horn in Bb with a Farkas mpc, one other horn player had his own compensating French Horn and would about all the time play it on the F side. I really wasn't going anywhere with it as my left hand fingering just wasn't up to snuff, perhaps because I'm overly right hand dominant. For a time I switched to an Eb mellophone which as far as fingering went was fine except tonation was really wicked. It was then I got my own stencil trumpet and since have acquired my own mellophone in F, and euphonium. Too, there have been times I've played a tuba in CC, Eb, and BBb and a Sousaphone in BBb. Generally, I find a practice session on the basses strengthens my breathing and endurance for treble playing, and presently that is really needed but alas, I'm limited now to my euphonium as I don't own the others.
    Last edited by Ed Lee; 04-07-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information