Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree24Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Trumpet High Note Volume in the General forums; Originally Posted by rowuk Listen, you are one of hundreds of young adults that talk about range as if it ...

Re: Trumpet High Note Volume

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post

you are one of hundreds of young adults that talk about range as if it is a commodity. It isn't. You have made the same mistake in your response.

First of all, range to anyone teaching or playing professionally, is USABLE RANGE, not squeakables. Knowing the notes that you claim to be able to play, doesn't help anyone "help" you. We have no idea about your body use, breathing habits, synergy between brain/ear/embouchure, and to be honest, it is impossible to communicate these things over the net.

Because you did not mention musical content or usable range once, it is very easy to read what the problem is here - it is not range.

If our range stops at a specific note, it is always because of the same reason: too much pressure. We use pressure because it works and it is a cheap substitute for decent breathing and body use for school kids. The path away from pressure depends on how bad your breathing and body use really is -because without those things, no embouchure work can function.
    Anyone that simply recommends some exercize without taking in to consideration what you are currently doing wrong, is not helping. They simply give you more stuff to pile on top of what is wrong now.
    What bothers me about your original post and your response, is that there is plenty of indignance, but no reflection. Furthermore, what would help was the context of my posts - you were too busy being defensive because YOU felt some moderator was picking on you. That is also very common.......

What did I recommend talking about repeated, not clarified because it was clear the first time:
    Finding someone who can play like you would like to, and hanging with them.
    Finding musical content that needs range
    Posture and relaxedness
    Daily routine, body use and getting a life.

Your path to improvement is not going to be easy because you don't read to understand. That makes any concept difficult to present -exactly my point about the internet being hopeless for those that are more on transmit than receive.
    Once again, I appreciate your sarcasm, harsh tone, and crass put downs, it is really something that aspiring trumpet players need to thrive in the musical world, kudos to you for helping me! So in lieu of your heartfelt response, I wanted to share the love, thus me replying with my previous post. I did learn something from your "words of wisdom" though, you talked about using too much pressure; I thank you for the tip and I truthfully will be more aware of pressure. That being said, I much more enjoyed the fact that it took you 353 words, a handful of put-downs, and a few wrongly-assumed facts to convey something as simple as "try using less pressure". I operate off of the golden rule. Treat others as though you would want to be treated. In your reply post you made it quite obvious that you were annoyed with "yet another student asking about range". It is apparent that you in your brain, have pretty much stereotyped my entire generation as "the ones who will never understand the true concept of range and how to approach it." I first of all would like to explain how that is not the case. I agree and confess; a lot of young trumpet players are obsessed with range. They try mouthpieces, they push so hard they bend teeth, they pinch, they cheat, and do anything they can to squeeze another note out. It's an aspiration towards great players like Wayne and Maynard, and what you are doing by replying so warmly to posts is not teaching, oh no trust me you are not teaching, it is ruining these kids dreams and making them like the instrument less. There is much more to the instrument than range, and most of it should be learned before range is even approached as an improvable aspect of playing. Things like dynamics, balance, tone, playing with control, musicality, and a strong music theory background are in my opinion, all "musts" before someone can even begin to remotely consider working on range. These past few sentences have been an attempt to show you that I am not some blinded-by-range kid who is looking to add an extra few "sqeakables" (your word) to his playing ability. However, I might as well not have written them because you will almost assuredly come back with another loving post talking about how I am wrong and know nothing and should believe everything you say because you have been teaching for over 40 years.

In response to your latest masterpiece: (in the order that you so lovingly listed them)

Finding someone who can play like you would like to, and hanging with them: I could not have stated this more clearly in my reply. I quote: "In response to one of your earlier posts, I do take lessons from a private instructor contrary to what you felt you knew"

Finding musical content that needs range: I have possession of, have been playing, and am practicing pieces with a required range that I do not feel I have the most control over, hence the original purpose of my entire thread.

Posture and relaxedness: A good piece of advice, I appreciate it and alike with your recommendation about pressure, I will pay attention to these aspects while trying my best to become a better player overall.

Daily routine, body use and getting a life: My favorite advice, this one hit extremely close to the heart seeing as the one advising me to get a life has 13,000+ posts.

"Your path to improvement is not going to be easy because you don't read to understand": just a funny side note. I am in a college-level analytical-based English class. I do in fact, read to understand. *Just felt like adding a bit of humor in here. I couldn't resist proving you completely wrong.*

This will be my final post in regards to your love-filled advice. Lock the thread, take it down I do not mind at this point. I feel that I have more than adequately stated my knowledge on something that apparently I know nothing about and am completely oblivious to. I truly do appreciate the few pieces of actual advice you have given me. I look forward to working on them in efforts to improve myself as an overall musician.

Hannibal, MO

Keep practicing bro!
    tobylou8 likes this.
    John Leslie Francis
    Director of Bands/Applied Trumpet
    Hannibal-LaGrange University
    Buy my new e-book, Sound the Trumpet

My blog:

Member, Bugles Across America

Bb Bach Stradt, Model 43 - with heavy caps
    C Yamaha
    A Getzen Piccolo
    Lavase Flugelhorn
    Yemenite Shofar

Psalm 98:6

Dayton, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy816 View Post
    ...I was wondering if anyone has any tips for improving volume on notes in the high register, since it takes much faster air. Some days the G is an actual tone and other days its just a whistle, not a full note. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    An important tip that I apply regularly, is when using the high range try to use it responsibly. The "traditional" and most discussed use of high range is the stereotypical screaming big band application. I must admit, I do perform this task when required to do so when playing lead in my big band, but I rather enjoy more so, using the high range in small ensemble performance. Totally different approach is recommended for this application.

In small ensemble playing, tastefully using high range requires titrated use of volume, usually in a softer, quieter tone. This is the most challenging use of high range as support of high range at low volume requires incredible muscle and airway control to maintain consistent air flow. Vulgano Brother reports repetitively and highly instructional methods and use of quit playing skill development. But I must say, putting this practice into performance is very rewarding and fulfilling for both the performer and the audience.

Last evening, I played a gig for a private performance in a very live, large resonate room, filled with the Mayor, Senators, Congressman, Philanthropists all for the recognition and benefits drive for the longest, continually running nursing home in our Country. So the crowed was composed of upper crust, rather conservative taste clientele. We played jazz standards (A Night in Tunisia, I Remember Clifford, Song for My Father, etc). Many of my solos went to double high C, and hung in that range for rather extended passages. Yet I pulled this off with quiet delivery, calculated use of when to build the solo to that point, and coming down from such a range with graceful texture. We had many of these dignitaries come up to the band and state how excellent the performance was, and not one individual complained the band played too loud or the trumpet was screaming. That is how you use the high range successfully, by demonstrating to the audience the beautiful range the trumpet can attain.
    Dean_0 likes this.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy816 View Post
    Some days the G is an actual tone and other days its just a whistle, not a full note. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    If high notes "whistle" it can be a sign that the lips are too far apart to vibrate and locked into place by mouthpiece pressure. Practice forming an embouchure (with lips together) before placing the mouthpiece on the lips.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

I guess that I could just give up and brand Jazzy816 as hopeless, but I don't think this is so.

The MAJOR factor is the lack of appreciation for body use. When range stops at a specific note, the reasons are always the same. They cannot be fixed by just stopping. When we screw around with our habits, too many other things fall apart until the new habits are built.

Obviously the current teacher is not offering enough, otherwise the internet would not be so important, or is perhaps the "listening" problem not only here at Trumpetmaster.

It is amazing how predictable these kids are. Their egos seem to be a lot more sensitive than their drive to get down off of the high horse and work on the basics that obviously their current routine has not offered solutions for.

So, if you guys want to, just keep offering band aids. Maybe the day will come when it all makes sense to Jazzy.

When the fundamentals suck, there is no patch. When a player does not wake up to that fact, there is no hope. A private teacher is no guarantee that the fundamentals are getting adequate attention. Range stopping and thin upper register IS a sure sign that the fundamentals have serious deficits.

I will not lock down the thread. There is a lot to learn here - especially about giving advice to those that think that they have the answers.
    richtom, Vulgano Brother and -C- like this.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information