Trumpet Discussion Discuss Trumpet to Mellophone in the General forums; I am originally a trumpet player and auditioned for Carolina Crown on Mellophone. I am on lead, but some of ...
    Pianissimo User

Trumpet to Mellophone

I am originally a trumpet player and auditioned for Carolina Crown on Mellophone. I am on lead, but some of the vets who are full Mellophone players still play better than me (should I be embarassed?). My high C on Trumpet isn't that great, but my G above the staff is fairly consistent, and I can play 3 or 4 f's on a G, but on Mellophone, my high C (equivalent to high G on trumpet) is pretty weak and flat. Does anyone know why?

Also, any advice on playing drum corps loud all day and not have my face be as dead? I know I'll be tired at the end of every day, but any advice as to how I can last longer?

Re: Trumpet to Mellophone

Mellophones were designed for horn players that realized that music is more fun when looking in the same direction as you are playing.

The difference between the mellophone and the trumpet is the nature of the standing wave in the horn as well as how you (don't) hear yourself. Practice outdoors as much as you can and you will figure it out.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

The more (and better) you practice, the better and longer you will be able to play. So in the long run....just practice!

Good luck,
    1914 Holton Revelation Cornet
    1929 Stroud Baby Grand Piano
    1950's Hammond M3 Organ

Piano User

Mellophone is fun to play. A bit unwieldy - at least a G mellophone is - much "looser." You can use that to your advantage, or, it can cause you all kinds of problems.

I recommend playing with a lot of intervals and flexibility stuff to get a feel for how the horn responds...

If you are playing lead for Carolina Crown, I'm guessing you'll be fine, you just need to get a feel for the horn. If I can do it (play mello that is, and I did) you can too.
    Last edited by jdostie; 02-11-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

I've a Yamaha Marching Mellophone in F and played it with a Larry Kerchner mpc by IYM, though at times I've played it with adapter and a French horn Farkas mpc. Due to health and dental issues I'm presently not playing any of my brass horns, but hopefully will comeback by end of 2012.

Thread Information