Trumpet Discussion Discuss Trumpet not blowing? Help please? in the General forums; I have a problem with my trumpet. The airs not going through in a certian place. When I take out ...
    New Friend

Trumpet not blowing? Help please?

I have a problem with my trumpet. The airs not going through in a certian place. When I take out all of the slides and put back them all except for the third valve slide, it blows. But once I insert the slide back in its place, the air doesn't go through. All the air does is slide the third valve slide. It doesnt even make a sound. Whats the problem here?

Re: Trumpet not blowing? Help please?

Quote Originally Posted by Kotchi View Post
    I have a problem with my trumpet. The airs not going through in a certian place. When I take out all of the slides and put back them all except for the third valve slide, it blows. But once I insert the slide back in its place, the air doesn't go through. All the air does is slide the third valve slide. It doesnt even make a sound. Whats the problem here?
    Check your water key cork.
    (Above/left) Alexanders ragtime band-circa 1960

Chalmers Big and Tall midwest sales district credit card division

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know.
    Mark Twain
    "Strive to have enemies that define you"

Check your 3rd valve. You have probably placed it wrong. Turn it around till it clicks. Now try to play again? Works? If not, check if you did not have swapped valves. Every valves has a number from 1-3. If it is in a wrong valve casing will stop the air flow.
    Last edited by trumpetnick; 09-19-2009 at 01:51 PM.

Nick I - freelance wellness consultant
    My online store
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetnick View Post
    Check your 3rd valve. You have probably played it wrong. Turn it around till it clicks. Now try to play again? Works? If not, check if you did not have swapped valves. Every valves has a number from 1-3. If it is in a wrong valve casing it will stop the air flow.
    Yes, that too....
    (Above/left) Alexanders ragtime band-circa 1960

Chalmers Big and Tall midwest sales district credit card division

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know.
    Mark Twain
    "Strive to have enemies that define you"

Quote Originally Posted by Kotchi View Post
    May be you have a "good friend" who is having some fun with you... ?

Check both the slide and tubes if there is something stuck inside which
    don't let the air pass through.....
    If you can not stand up as a good role model, please sit down!

nordlandstrompet

BrassNor

Taylor
    Chicago Lite
    Chicago Custom X-Lead
    Custom Gansch Style
    Phat Boy
    CarolBrass
    CCR-9990-RSM-SLB
    CCR-6882T-PSM
    CPT-3000-GSS
    CTP-3330-YLS

the air doesn't go through. All the air does is slide the third valve slide. It doesnt even make a sound.
    This indicates air pressure in the 3rd valve, but no air flow. Remove the 3rd slide and wash with water and clean it. While you're at it - clean the whole horn. Remove and clean and replace the valves checking correctly in place.

It does sound like something in the 3rd valve is wrongly placed, or a blockage in the slide.
    Peter
    Schagerl - Killer Queen Flugel
    Schagerl - James Morrison
    Schlub - Dingo Trumpet (The Wildest)
    Jaeger Diamond
    Olds - Clark Terry Flugel
    Olds - Recording Trumpet
    Taylor Chicago 46 Magnum Max
    Martin Committee & a few others

Forte User

your valve is probably in backwards

Fortissimo User

Remember, removing the third valve tells absolutely nothing about what is going on. That is because the air dumps first into the the third valve. So, when it is removed, the air simply escapes through the empty valve casing. Whether the valves are rotated into the wrong position, in the wrong casing, or there is an obstruction somewhere else the outcome will be the same. So, it will take some additional discovery. If you can't find the stamped numbers on the valves, do the following:
    (1) Remove all valves and inspect them to ensure none of the port holes are blocked.
    (2) Blow through the bell to check that air will flow (this checks for obstructions in the bell pipe - you already know that there are no obstructions in the leadpipe from your previous effort).
    (3) Place a valve into the third valve casing and rotate it until it clicks. Then blow through the leadpipe to see if air will flow with the valve up and also pressed down.
    [Note: some trumpets are made so that the valve will 'click' even when it is 180 degrees out of position - look at the valve guides and see if they are the type that have a 'tab' on both sides of the valve. If they do, you will need to repeat this step twice for each valve - once in each position.)
    (4) If the air does not flow freely with the valve in both positions, remove the valve and go back to step 3 with a different valve - repeat until air flows in both positions.
    (5) Then put one of the pistons into the second valve casing and repeat steps 3 and 4.
    (6) Finally, put the remaining piston into the 1st valve position and repeat step 3.
    When you are done, if you still find that the air does not flow freely, that can only suggest that somehow the valves have been disassembled and reassembled incorrectly - or else you have the valves from some other trumpet in yours.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Thread Information