Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss trumpet on plane....please help in the General forums; hello to everyont here in TM..im just recently registered here but i always visit this site to learn from you ...
    New Friend

Question trumpet on plane....please help

hello to everyont here in TM..im just recently registered here but i always visit this site to learn from you all. next week im going home to SE i just have one question, is trumpet allowed inside the airplane as a handcarry in my trumpet bag?

Re: trumpet on plane....please help

Yes. As long as the case fits the plane company's carry on size and weight specifications.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley

Mezzo Forte User

Dumb question.......A trumpet could not possibly be harmed going through the airport security x-ray, correct? Or, would it be best to let the case be visually inspected? Just In Case, no pun intended. Just wondering, corresponding to frequencies in the range 30 petahertz to 30 exahertz (3 1016 Hz to 3 1019 Hz) and energies in the range 120 eV to 120 keV might permanently taint the brass a little, or the joints?

Regardless, leave the valve oil bottle and grease tube home, they'll not allow it on the flight.
    Last edited by Bachstul; 07-08-2009 at 12:07 AM.

If they don't harm your computer and all of its fine parts, then your big hunk of brass and solder is going to be ok.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley

Mezzo Forte User

Do you have to have a computer X-Rayed before boarding????? Another Dumb question.

yes laptop and shoes go in to the x-ray separately from all your other bags

EDIT: because the metal detector you go through WILL mess up your hard drive (possibly even corrupt files)
    Last edited by Trumpet guy; 07-08-2009 at 08:50 AM. Reason: missing tidbit of info

Daniel Lan

"If you're not improving, you're falling behind." - My Trumpet Teacher, Steve
    ------------------------------------
    Horns
    Bach Strad 37 - Wedge 3C/7*
    Bach TR300
    Olds Ambassador Fullerton Trombone - Bach 12C

Quote Originally Posted by hussiend View Post
    hello to everyont here in TM..im just recently registered here but i always visit this site to learn from you all. next week im going home to SE i just have one question, is trumpet allowed inside the airplane as a handcarry in my trumpet bag?
    I travel very regularly with my pocket trumpet, and mouthpiece, as carry on baggage here in Australia. I make sure that the valve oil, grease, and all the cleaning kit is in my baggage in the hold (not in the cabin) - I have never had a problem, never even been asked to open the case. I have taken it internationally (to New Zealand) from Australia on one occasion with no comment.
    Ted
    Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Forte User

Last year I carried an Alexander rotary Flugal from London to Australia as hand luggage with stopovers in Dubai and Singapore, only on leaving Dubai was I queried by the x ray operator, making actions as if playing trumpet I was waved through, did not have to open it.

Regards, Stuart.

New Friend

Smile thanks...

thanks to all your replies and experiences on board with trumpet....im sure i could bring it also i just have to be ready to play just in case...

Coming back from the UK I had a Pelican case (1510 I think) Inside I had my Eclipse Bb and Lidl Flugel horn. It was over weight but the size is the max for most airlines. I used the same case for between Brisbane and Sydney a few times with no probs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information