Quote Originally Posted by oldlou View Post
Not to start an argument, but, I have and have had students who played in ensemble very well and with no hesitation. These same students were absolutely adamant that they would NOT take any solos. I have a difficult time understanding this, but, the same is commonly found in chorale singers that refuse to solo. This can probably be explained by the idea that these people feel secure in numbers, but, are afraid that they will not perform perfectly in a solo setting.

I understand the students who don't want to play a solo - they like to just play the horn and don't want to do or be anything great. It is like playing a sport for enjoyment - lots of people play tennis but not everyone plays it for competition. Their goal in life is not to excel at the horn - I have found in past experience that when you come upon these players to just leave them where they are happy and content - unless they tell you that they really do want to solo but then shy away when you give them one.

I worked with a teacher in the past who thought one girl needed to have a solo, and forced her to take the solo - the girl cried ( she did want to be better and solo, but shied away from it). I think he could have handled it better by smoothly encouraging her rather than yelling at her - this has worked every time in my experience.