Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Trumpet Playing May Be Dangerous to Your Health. in the General forums; There is an old trumpet player in Sydney who used to carry a very old crumpled newspaper cutting around in ...

Re: Trumpet Playing May Be Dangerous to Your Health.

There is an old trumpet player in Sydney who used to carry a very old crumpled newspaper cutting around in his wallet that talks about the correlation between screach trumpet playing and brain anurisms (excuse the spelling. My spell check has crapped itself). The article sited cases of players who had done themselves some serious damage trying to play high.He used to say "Son. Don't try playing high. Most people are not that good at it and it is bad for your health. Play with a good sound and you'll always have a gig"
    I think his argument has merit. I don't know how many sites I've visited where someone is trying to indiscriminately hit notes in the stratosphere and there sound is atrocious.

I did read your posts, understand them and regardless declare this to be like getting hit with lightning, possible, but not on my list of things to worry about.

Like any other human state, trumpet playing is subject to all sorts of consequences. Maynard Ferguson played with such power that he needed hernia operations (5 I think). I do not worry about this either.

Pseudo Science will want us to believe that a single factor will cause any particular reaction. HOGWASH!!!!!! People in the industry know that a working trumpet players blood pressure can be increased due to bad eating and sleeping habits, alcohol, nicotine, snoring/sleep apnea, divorce, mouthpiece/horn falling on the floor, the emotional and psychological pressure of any performance. Most often more than one factor is involved.
    Your assumption that Vesuvio syndrome is the reason is just not adequately documented anywhere and if it were an issue, trumpet players and sportsmen must be dropping like flies everywhere in the world.

I have researched dizziness in more than 20 trumpet players (especially concerning the piccolo trumpet) and in no cases did we find chest pressure to be an issue. We did in fact find blood pressure to be an issue and were able with changing eating habits, removing personal stress, limiting alcoholic consumption before a performance, implementation of a CPAP/APAP machine when sleeping and improved breathing/tonguing to "solve" the issue. 20+ is probably not any statistical factor of note, but maybe is proof that common sense makes more sense than some theoretical blah-blah.

My suggestion to you: take up guitar if you have a problem with trumpet. The only problem there is that you will have to worry about carpal tunnel or nail infections. The only safe musical instrument is a CD player - and then only if you do not crank it up to loudly!
    Last edited by rowuk; 12-13-2007 at 04:48 AM.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

I have found my trumpet playing to be hazardous to other people's health, but not to my own.

Teaneck, NJ

Chekhov was not yet on the bridge for the Corbomite maneaveur
    Yamaha 8310Z
    Dillon Flugelhorn
    Getzen 850 Cornet
    Yamaha Picc
    Yamaha Xeno C 8445
    Bach Corp. 3C, Curry 3F, Curry 3DC. (cornet), Stork 5P

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by tromj View Post
    Chekhov was not yet on the bridge for the Corbomite maneaveur
    Thanks, tromj, in the interest of good scholoarship, I stand corrected--I was thinking of "The Deadly Years"...

"On the way to Starbase 10, the U.S.S. Enterprise stops to deliver supplies to the colonists of Gamma Hydra IV. A landing party consisting of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scott, Lieutenant Galway and Chekov beam to the planet's surface. They find that accelerated aging has taken place, killing most of the colonists. Chekov is terrified when he discovers the first body. The only survivors, an elderly couple who claim to be in their twenties, die shortly after meeting the Enterprise crew. When the landing party returns to the Enterprise, the aging acceleration begins to affect each of them ... except Chekov, who remains curiously immune. While Kirk wants to stay in orbit around Gamma Hydra IV until a cure can be found, one of his passengers, Commodore Stocker, wants to proceed to Starbase 10 where he feels the best medical aid can be obtained.

The senior officers succumb to the effects of old age and soon Kirk is unable to command, as are Scotty and Spock. Command falls to Commodore Stocker, who, while an efficient desk officer, has no deep space training. Thinking he will save time, Stocker plots a course through the Romulan Neutral Zone on his way to Starbase 10. The Romulans are waiting and begin an attack.
    Stocker, panicked and inexperienced, has no idea what to do. As the Enterprise is surrounded, McCoy comes up with an antidote to the aging sickness ... adrenaline. Chekov, he explains, wasn't affected because his fear at finding the bodies on Gamma Hydra IV had already kicked his natural adrenaline into high gear. McCoy restores Kirk to normal in time to save the ship by reusing his famous "corbomite" bluff and telling the Romulans that the Enterprise would destroy anything within a 200,000 kilometer radius. McCoy distributes the antidote and restores everyone to their normal state." (emphasis added)

It is amazing all that we can learn at TM!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Piano User
    New Jersey

Your're a man after my own heart. Judging from your response to Vulgano Brother, I'm sure you know who played the alien in that episode.
    Live Long and Prosper

The black is the notes, the white is the the black!!

'When you're sleeping, someone else is practicing.'"-Herb Alpert

Is the Valsalva Maneuver also applied when sneezing?

Piano User

i am sure the pros outweight the cons. besides my blood pressure is kind of borderline high,so a drop in pressure may do some good!

Forte User
    Indiana USA

High register playing makes me want to go to the bathroom, but so does playing in any register. I must have a different problem?

Best wishes!

Mezzo Piano User

I asked my wife to try a Valsalva manuver with me and I got slapped.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information