Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Liad Bar-EL
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Trumpet playing and partial teeth in the General forums; I just came from visiting my dentist and he tells me that at least two of my upper back teeth ...
    Forte User
    Indianapolis, In

Trumpet playing and partial teeth

I just came from visiting my dentist and he tells me that at least two of my upper back teeth have to be pulled. He is telling me then that I need to either go with a partial or implants. Due to the costs of implants and insurance that is tapped out a partial is the only way I can economically handle this. Does anyone out there have experience playing with a partial? Does it effect tonguing or just plain blowing the horn. Will it work with a partial in or must it be removed in order to play? I would really appreciate hearing from some who have been there. Presently I am working as a freelance trumpeter and starting to make some money and hope to be able to increase it. Any insight you can give would be appreciated.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown
    One trick I've heard is to bite on a cork with the molars to keep from blowing the plate out. How 'bout playing without the partial? I just lost the last of my baby teeth, (a molar) and it didn't affect playing at all. Be grateful you have your front teeth -- those puppies will be worth an implant when the day comes.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Forte User
    I went through the same experience over a year ago. I have always had a "bright" tone and after the partial plate for lower back teeth my tone instantly became warmer, something that I had been looking for for years.
    I had tried different horns and mouthpieces but my tone had always come back. Your experience may be different but mine was a blessing. My range and endurance did not change, just my tone and for the better. Dave
    formerly known as old geezer Dave
    Chicago Benge 33XX
    Blessing 1580 [ Powell modified ]
    Getzen 800s ml Cornet P02819
    Yam. 231 Fl. 15383
    King Master Cornet 295628
    assorted other horns

Forte User
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Read this story (A Story to encourage FINAL UPDATE!) and be thankful for what you have. If Chuck could work through this, you can too.

As was already mentioned, this ordeal might make your sound even better.

Just keep positive and work through it the best you can.

Good luck,

bknowlton1 likes this.

Thread Information