Trumpet Discussion Discuss Trumpet sizes in the General forums; I have only looked at Bach trumpets, but wondered if the s,m,ml,l, xl sizes have an effect on the sound ...

Trumpet sizes

I have only looked at Bach trumpets, but wondered if the s,m,ml,l, xl sizes have an effect on the sound that you get? Why the different sizes? I play with a ml now and was told that the "majority" of orchestral players it is a standard size. Because of the sound?

Rochester, NY
    The ML bore trumpet provides a "resistance" that suits the majority of the players out there. With a ML bore trumpet, it is easy to "get around" on the horn because the slots are average-sized. Some players prefer a more open blowing trumpet for their playing needs, or style.

It is important that we think in terms of the "resistance" that the trumpet provides, as much as the sound that it allows us to produce. Additionally, bore size doesn't have as much to do with all of this, as much as overall design does. However, in general, a large bore trumpet will tend to produce a bigger sound... typically, with less resistance.

It is important that when we consider purchasing a larger bore.... or, a more free-blowing trumpet, that we also consider the amount of energy that it will require ALL of the time. There are trumpets out there which have actually been at the root of the problem for playing issues. Sometimes this can be corrected by choosing a mouthpiece that provides more resistance. Again, this brings us back to the original question... and, why ML bore trumpets tend to be the choice for the majority of trumpet players.

Best always,

Thread Information