Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Trumpet Sound: Us vs. Them? in the General forums; I think we can tell when we are sounding good or bad to others, but we don't really know our ...

Re: Trumpet Sound: Us vs. Them?

I think we can tell when we are sounding good or bad to others, but we don't really know our sound compares to ourselves and them. It sounds different because we are not projecting the sound back to our own ears.

Back when I played and recorded myself, I never had a decent enough equipment to record and play it back on to hear myself. I think it would be very revealing for us to get good recordings of ourselves. Helpful, too.
    Vintage Trumpets
    he Easier, More efficient way to Find Used Trumpets.

New Friend

Actually I think that this is a great question. I often wondered in college why some players would choose to play into a corner during practice. It served as a reflector to bounce the sound back at the player to hear.

Recording yourself is vital to getting a good sense of where your sound is. Today, there are a host of really good recording devices to help a player get feedback on where they are coming from with their sound.

Zoom makes a series of portable recorders that are great for musicians. I use the H4n Samson - Zoom - H4n it allows recording upwards of 96K 24 bit. It allows multi tracking and many other features. It's price point may be more than some people are willing to invest. If that is the case for you, check out the H2; it allows great recording quality for under 200 USD

I find the more I use this unit, the more I like it. I find it really usefull in the classroom to be able to record a student and play back quality sound back quickly.

Hope you find this information helpful.
    Last edited by markquinn; 06-30-2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: correction of typo errors

New Friend
    St. Louis, Mo.

I like it when you nail a high note off the back wall and it comes right back at ya!! Now that's feedback!
    Lawler C7S
    Wild Thing
    Conn 48B
    Vintage Conn Director
    Yamaha 631 Flugel

New Friend
    Ancaster, Ontario

Thanks for all the tips guys! I've already recorded myself a couple of times and it's definitely different to hear what you actually sound like for the first time. I can see how the technique would be extremely helpful and am definitely going to do it more often. Thanks again for the tips and advice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information