Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Trumpet Sound: Us vs. Them? in the General forums; Hey all, This may seem like an extremely dumb question or a reasonably decent one, but I'm going to give ...
    New Friend

Trumpet Sound: Us vs. Them?

Hey all,

This may seem like an extremely dumb question or a reasonably decent one, but I'm going to give it a shot anyways!

When playing trumpet, do you hear what your tone really sounds like? Much like when speaking, your voice always sounds different to you then it does other people, does your trumpet tone do the same thing?

Forte User

Re: Trumpet Sound: Us vs. Them?

Yes, more or less depending of what´s in front of you when playing.

New Friend

Yes, I think it does. I find it essential to record yourself during practice sessions, rehearsals, and/or performances. I like to stick a recording device on my music stand at jazz rehearsals, and then return to those recordings in order to understand my sound. I've only just begun practicing this, but I think in the long run it will prove beneficial. At any rate, I would like to add that we hear what we think we hear, which is quite natural. We're particularly harsher on our own sound.

Try earplugs. It can be a very revealing experience.

v

Use earplugs, record yourself, etc... it'll really open your ears. Ever think, "Do I REALLY sound like that?" on an answering machine or something? It's fun to try.
    The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts.
    -C. S. Lewis

Life is about learning; when you stop learning, you die. -Tom Clancy

And the seven angels which had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound.
    -Revelation 8:6

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydaze View Post
    Hey all,

This may seem like an extremely dumb question or a reasonably decent one, but I'm going to give it a shot anyways!

When playing trumpet, do you hear what your tone really sounds like? Much like when speaking, your voice always sounds different to you then it does other people, does your trumpet tone do the same thing?
    What you hear when playing has NOTHING to do with what the audience (or clarinet player in front of you) gets.

The trumpet would not be a desirable instrument if the sound travelled in a direction that you were not looking.

What we here is what the bell vibrations tell us in addition to what comes back from the room that we are playing in. The two sounds have very little in common.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New Friend

The acoustics are undeniably a huge part of this dynamic. I'm thinking too that every trumpet performance is like a vocal performance in that it's unique because of the human factor. We may strive to rehearse and faithfully reproduce tone, rhythm, volume, and all the other elements that we address with practice- at some level we'll leave our own stamp.

I notice if I'm somewhat under-the-weather at a level that effects my ability to sing that my trumpet playing is altered too. (It only has to be a slight scratchiness of the throat.) -Ed

Pianissimo User

It's particularly interesting with trumpets, some trumpets sound like crap to you but at the back of the room they might be tremendous! Other trumpets may sound great to you but don't project to the room...

New Friend

I've recently started recording myself as well which is what brought up this thought. I've tried using earplugs a couple times but always found them rather odd to play with. Maybe I'm just not used to the feeling. I'll definitely try them out again though. Thanks for the replies guys!

Forte User

Hi sunnydaze,
    YES!
    Play your favorite song and record it. When you listen to it does it sound like you thought?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information