Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree39Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Trumpet in a Townhouse in the General forums; Originally Posted by tedh1951 I can give you a clue from the neighbours perspective - I lived in a double ...
    Pianissimo User

Re: Trumpet in a Townhouse

Quote Originally Posted by tedh1951 View Post
    I can give you a clue from the neighbours perspective - I lived in a double brick house with small windows and right next door was a double brick house with small windows - the neighbour played (and taught) sax. He was a pretty fair sax player, worked professionally (as a sax player you understand). What we were subjected to was a reasonable practice regime on his part but the bit that became a little annoying was the repitition from the students. The same pieces, the same mistakes. But it's amazing what a neighbour will bare, if you are pleasant. Talk to your neighbours - they might just be humans.
    Reminds me of the story about the couple, arriving at a hotel in New York, learning that Heifetz (sp?) was staying there requested a room next to his to be able to hear the wonderful music... and called back three hours later after hearing nothing but scales and long tones to request a room switch.

It's bad that way for us amateur producers - I will often play the same song hundreds of times throughout the recording, mastering process, sometimes looping a thirty second snippet 100X to comp just the right guitar lead.

My neighbors dogs bark a lot and while it shows up on my recordings from time to time (adds a Pink Floyd mystique to the proceedings) I'd never be one to complain. Live and let live.

When their dogs bark I get out my horn!
    The difference between youth and old age is that, in youth one struggles to play the right notes while, as an adult, one works to play the notes right.

Pianissimo User
    Battle Creek, MI

Re: Trumpet in a Townhouse

I live in a duplex that has a basement and garages separate the living spaces. I practice in the basement, no mutes or silencers. My neighbors in the same building don't hear me play at all. The neighbors in the house on the other side do hear me (window sound transmission) but they don't mind as he used to play trumpet in high school and he also says that he knows I'm still alive when he hears the trumpet.
    tedh1951, tobylou8 and revjames like this.
    1932 Conn 2B Special trumpet
    1956 Martin Committee Deluxe cornet
    1964 (ish) Holton Al Hirt Special cornet
    1972 Bach Stradivarus model 37
    Maxtone Flugelhorn

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information