Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Trumpet trimming service question. in the General forums; Hello. I found a trumpet trimming service on under the trumpet section. It says it will gold plate the ...

Trumpet trimming service question.

I found a trumpet trimming service on under the trumpet section. It says it will gold plate the inside of the bell, slides, and caps water keys etc. for $150, the guys name is David Williams in Tallahasee Florida, is this a scam? Does anyone have expirence with this music store? I wanna do this bcause this is cheap but are there any other services that are cheaper that do the same?

London UK

Re: Trumpet trimming service question.

Don't know this tech, so all I'll say is Gold is expensive, and you get what you pay for. Don't be tempted by anything that looks too good to be true, use a plater recommended by a colleague, friend, or tutor etc.

Taylor Chicago Custom II
    Yamaha 8335LA (heavily modified)
    Leblanc Symphonie II balanced, circa 1960's
    Taylor Phat Boy Flugel

San Francisco

$150 dollars actually sounds cheap for what he's going to do. Gold plating an entire trumpet these days costs well over $1000 these days.
    Last edited by Bay Area Brass; 01-27-2009 at 04:12 AM. Reason: spelling correction
    Bill Ortiz
    '56 Martin Committee Deluxe
    '54 Martin Committee Deluxe
    Couesnon Paris Flugelhorn
    Manning Trumpet Case/Berp Bio Oil
    Bob Reeves Mouthpiece Sleeves/PVA

Forte User

I'd be very nervous about sending my horn to someone who claims to be abd trimming for $150. Either you'll never see the horn again, or the "gold" will be cheaply done. Hell, a gold accent kit for a Bach Strad (Top and bottom caps and valve stems) costs $100.

If you call this guy make sure you get SEVERAL references and a breakdown of what he's charging for and why.

Caveat Emptor...

Mezzo Forte User
    Darlington S.C.

Hello [email protected],I may be wrong,but I believe this is the music tech. called Georgia Peach. He advertises on E-Bay. I believe his name was David Williams. I was considering using him,till I read some comments about him on this site maybe, or on the Trumpet Herald site. I believe Ole Lou and some others had some bad dealings, of a long time of getting horns back, along with poor workmanship. Check it out,i do not want to wrongfully bad mouth any Music Tech. They are greatly needed and fewer people are being properley trained in the (ART) of musicial instrument repair. Try to use a NAPBIRT Tech. if possible,my Music Tech. is a NAPBIRT music tech along with being a Pro Tuba and Trombone player etc. Go on line and enter NAPBIRT Tech.,to find the closest one to you. If that person does no plating services,The Tech. can refer you to a proper trim plating company etc.

Forte User
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

I would never again send even a plastic recorder to Dave Williams for any sort of work. If you want more details, send me an email.

Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet
    G.R.Band Instr. cornet
    Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Getzen Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Many others no room to list

New Friend

Wink Re: Trumpet trimming service question.

Hi, I had my Schilke redone by him about a year ago, he did a great job. The time it took him to finish the horn wa a little long, but worth it in the long run. You can see his adds on ebay for refinishing and dent removal. Call him he is a OK guy in my eyes. Cheers; Jack

Things too good to be true generally are just that. Buyer beware!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

I see that most people are negative about this but there is one person that left a positive feedback of the experience with the person, but out of all these people, only two have actually used him and one says good one says bad, i don't know what to do but what would you do if you were left with these two choices?- 1. Buy new Bach 37 Strad trumpet with gold trim kit, and gold plating inside the bell(but no gold slides)2. Pay $150 plus shipping and get the above on your own Bach trumpet. 3. Pay $1000 for same as above with another person.- I'd go with choice two. so... tell me what you think....

I think there's been a mis-communication here
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Brass View Post
    $150 dollars actually sounds cheap for what he's going to due. Gold plating an entire trumpet these days costs well over $1000 these days.
    I think gold trim is at about 300-400 dollars now by good technicians. Unless you find several accounts of people who have employed this person's inexpensive services with good and lasting results, you should be very wary of risking something expensive like a musical instrument on something you see online.
    "If you're not improving, you're falling behind." - My Trumpet Teacher, Steve
    Bach Strad 37 - Wedge 3C w/ L backbore
    Bach TR300
    Conn Director Cornet
    Olds Ambassador Fullerton Trombone - Bach 6-1/2 C

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information