Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Trumpet Valve Alignment? in the General forums; Can trumpet valves go out of alignment? If I pull one of the tuning slides and look in there, it ...
    Piano User

Trumpet Valve Alignment?

Can trumpet valves go out of alignment? If I pull one of the tuning slides and look in there, it looks like they're not lined up, with the holes I'm looking into.

Or is that just normal?
    Conn Pan Am made in 1950 silver + Bach 7C
    King American Standard cornet made in 1940 + Olds 3C
    Striving for a Touchy Tone, rather than obnoquious

Re: Trumpet Valve Alignment?

There are valve alignment issues sometimes, and valve alignments can help the overall intonation of the horn,
    often coming out of the shop, the makers will just put the valves in with the rough estimates, but with the mass-production, small differences happen.
    Usually, this isn't too much of a problem, except in rare cases. I don't think it usually gets worse though.
    If you are really worried about it, talk to a teacher or a shop technician about a valve alignment
    Last edited by bagmangood; 02-26-2008 at 10:02 PM. Reason: elaborated
    Bb: Courtois 305 "Elite", Holton Al Hirt Special (~1966), Benge 3x with Upturned bell (1973)
    C: Bach C180-239 (Akwright conversion),
    Cornet: Conn Wonder (1900)
    Picc: Selmer Paris, ~1971

Seeing the edge of the port holes is a sign of mis-alignment. It can be fixed. Take it to a technician, or someone well know for alignments if you want a long lasting solution.
    Worn felts can cause your valves to be mis-aligned.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Piano User

Seeing the edge of the port holes?? How about seeing like TONS of the edge of the port holes??

I'm not inclined to mess with a horn that works, but looks like I will learn about this.
    Conn Pan Am made in 1950 silver + Bach 7C
    King American Standard cornet made in 1940 + Olds 3C
    Striving for a Touchy Tone, rather than obnoquious

When you pull the valve slide, are you depressing the valve? Looking in the valve slides, you can only check downstroke alignment for that valve.
    J. Notso Nieuwguyski

Quote Originally Posted by Eeviac View Post
    Can trumpet valves go out of alignment? If I pull one of the tuning slides and look in there, it looks like they're not lined up, with the holes I'm looking into.

Or is that just normal?
    EEVIAC,
    if you pull the second valve slide and look inside, nothing will or should line up. Only when you depress the valve is the tubing connected. This is true for all piston valves, the second is shortest and easiest to visualize.

When the valves are "aligned" several things can happen:
    All of the ports are measured to determine how far out they are, or if the manufacturing is sloppy so that it would not be possible at all to get proper alignment. Once that is done, the easiest fix is in the up and down direction. Thicker or thinner pads will offer the best comprimise. If the valve is off in a left right direction, the valve guide will have to be custom made OR the valve unsoldered from the guide assembly and turned slightly then resoldered.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Pianissimo User

I just had a Bob Reeves valve alignment done on my strad. It made a lot of difference in the blow and sound of the horn. You just have to call them and make a mail-in appointment and ship it. Then they do it in one day and send it back.
    Andy Sites
    King 600 (first horn)
    Taylor Chicago 46 VR (my baby)

"Trumpet playing isn't rocket science...because we know how to make rockets."
    Stephen Leisring

Valve guides and felts can wear, throwing the instrument out of alignment. I have NEVER experienced an alignment that produced a SERIOUS difference. Frosting on the cake, yes - night and day, never. I have also purposely malaligned the valves to try and quantify the difference. I have to admit, either I have horns (Monette Ajna2/Prana3, Bach 229H, Selmer D/Eb) that don't show the difference well, or the difference is not as great as some claim.
    I replaced the original felts with ones that were at least a millimeter smaller - should have destroyed the playing qualities. I checked the intonation of the octaves and tried to judge the blow. The biggest difference was in the pitch center of the Monettes. That aspect was considerably worse. None of the other horns were that much different(or honestly "measurable").
    This proves to me that this is a nice to have but will not turn a good horn bad or vice versa.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New Friend

I have a number of vintage King trumpets and cornets including 3 types of Liberty models, Super 20, Symphony, Silvertone trumpet and cornet and Master model cornet. My tech pointed out to me that these old Kings have a groove cut in the valve stem for aligning valves in the up position. He said the groove should be visible just above the top valve cap. Is this correct? It seems like a very easy way to tell if valves on these horns are aligned in the up position.

Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by Eeviac View Post
    Seeing the edge of the port holes?? How about seeing like TONS of the edge of the port holes??

I'm not inclined to mess with a horn that works, but looks like I will learn about this.
    I wonder about horizontal alignment. I have one horn that plays well but It looks as if someone welded the tubing in such a way that about one third of the valve casing and therefore the valve itself almost look like the valve body was twisted sideways before the tubing was attached. I also wonder if horns that are stuffy might be that way through poor valve alignments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information