Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Trumpet vs. Dog in the General forums; My beagle and my trumpet are best buddies, although he doesn't really like the new Yamahas. Something about "lower overtones... ...

Re: Trumpet vs. Dog

My beagle and my trumpet are best buddies, although he doesn't really like the new Yamahas. Something about "lower overtones... yelp yelp"

Cincinnati, OH

My own dog has no problems with the trumpet, he's totally used to it. This is the church music director who has a new puppy. The pup is used to piano, harp and vocal music, but brass was a new experience. Like I said she was fine once we started rehearsing, just the initial shock. I always remind my own dog why I'm the boss..... thumbs rule! Of course the dog can leap way up in the air and do a 180 to catch a tennis ball, which is really cool to watch.
    Greg Glassmeyer

Quebec City, QC, Canada

Then, there was this Bichon at a rehearsal who defied everybody who would approach her... but that's another story...
    NYTC Stage 1 California Light - Wedge 3C cup w/ Warburton 7 backbore mpc
    Bach Stradivarius Bb Model 37 * #124xxx (circa 1975) - Schilke 15B mpc
    Yamaha YFH-731 Flugelhorn #000xxx - Yamaha 14F4-GP mpc
    Conn Connquest 20A Cornet 1954

When I go into my study to practice, my Bernese Mountain Dog comes trotting in and flops down on the rug, in anticipation. As I get out a horn and begin making noise, he comes and sits beside, but facing me, and HOWLS mostly "around" the key of the note I hit...sometimes it seems he "sings" (badly, but sings). His howls actually shift in tone. After awhile, (as I don't quit), he evacuates the area...although I've heard him howling from other parts of the house when I slip and hit a too-sharp upper F or G.

New Friend
    Phoenix, Arizona

We have 11 dogs--so we're probably not playing with a full deck.

The dogs rarely howled until a few months ago. That was when I finanaly learned to relax my breathing, and voila the tone started to become more resonant. Rex, our poodle/schnauzer/whatever mix, who spends his day with me in the room where I practice starts howling--sometimes when I was playing a note as low as Ab below low C. Then by ones, twos, and threes the other dogs wander into the room and start howling. By this time I no longer can hear myself play, nor would I want to because I'm laughing so hard all that newly acquired resonance has gone down the tubes. Rex is going to have to be banned from the room where I practice.

Twin Cities, Minnesota

I don't have a clue about dogs, but I do have something to say about my cat. At first he was very scared of my trumpet and would run away when I started playing. Now he doesn't seem to care. Maybe he has gone deaf. Or maybe my playing has improved. Who knows?
    Dan Peterson

1965 Bach Mt. Vernon Bb trumpet
    1965 Bach cornet
    Monette Chicago C trumpet
    Vintage Windsor trumpet

Monette B1-2
    Monette C1-2
    DW cornet mouthpieces

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information