Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Trumpetmasters of the universe in the General forums; Originally Posted by rowuk ..... I am open to suggestions about how to motivate those that expect the impossible to ...
    The Wide Brown Land

Re: Trumpetmasters of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    ..... I am open to suggestions about how to motivate those that expect the impossible to reconsider!
    Let them walk in your shoes - (make it an old pair, because they may just keep going and you will have lost your footwear).
    Last edited by tedh1951; 01-25-2009 at 06:06 PM.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Seattle, WA

I'm just a hack amateur comeback player, but here's my take. The problem in some of our TM threads is not one of elitism, the problem is arrogance. There's the arrogance of the know-it-all, who really does know what they're talking about, but alienates people with bad attitude (Actually, this is pretty rare). However, much worse is the arrogance of ignorance. The know-nothing who feels that just because they're entitled to an opinion, no matter how ill-informed, that opinion is the equal of any other opinion put forth (Sadly, this is not rare). I can tolerate the first of these more than the second, because there's something to be learned. The second of these has nothing to contribute and, worst of all, doesn't even realize it. That said, arrogance is never welcome whatever the source. Most of the best players I've interacted with, pro or amateur, are humble, hard working, willing to learn, and encouraging of others. Seems like a good model to me, and one to be emulated.

1953 Mt. Vernon Strad 37 Cornet
    1966 Burbank Benge Eb/D
    1975 LA Benge 3x+
    1976 Strad 37*
    1978 LA Benge C
    1980 LA Benge 3x

Pianissimo User
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY

Quote Originally Posted by mrmusicnotes View Post
    HI EVERYONE, this morning I read yet another thread that had a certain flavor of distain for the non professional player.
    I can't say I've read anything here that looked down on people for not making money playing trumpet. However, I'd definitely agree that several posters on this site have shown a lack of fondness for people who play trumpet for deliberately amateur fun.

I have met some really great players in my life and they are always the ones that are ready to listen and help anyone,anytime.

Thanks for taking a risk and starting the thread.
    Simon St.Laurent
    Bach TR300 / 5C
    "Maestro" valve trombone
    "Orpheum Super" slide trombone
    Jupiter Brigadier Bugle
    Jupiter JST-314L slide trumpet

Manitowoc Wi.

Additionally it is HARD to read emotion !! Sometime I read a post and it can really seem as though the poster is really mad.....when he's actually not mad at all it's how I'm interpreting. Smiles go a long way to help interpret what the poster is trying get across.

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

Hi Mrmusicnotes. Markie here, Just tell the people who think that way to kiss your as... err.....wait a minute, I can't say that. tell them to eat shi.... ooh wait i can't say that either. Do what I'd do. Ignor the ignorant fools.

Pianissimo User

Last edited by borge705; 01-08-2012 at 01:51 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information