Trumpet Discussion Discuss Try-outs for Rose parade Honor band in the General forums; okay trumpet pplz! I have a new issue i need help about...I dont know about trying out for The Rose ...

Try-outs for Rose parade Honor band

okay trumpet pplz! I have a new issue i need help about...I dont know about trying out for The Rose Parade honor band....HONOR BAND!! MILLIONS AND BILLIONS PEOPLE WATCH!!! okay im only a freshman and i dont think im even good enough to tryout! Its like an HONOR to just tryout! im scared too! I dont know if i should tryout....There is also tryout for the Herald trumpets and i HAve no idea WAT THAT IS!

thanx alot for advice!

Forte User
    Atlanta, GA

I say go for it!

Hello Rebecca. It is never too early to begin taking auditions. The sooner you begin taking them, the more comfortable you will be over time. You never know, you might surprise yourself and make the cut. The only guarantee is that you can never win an audition you don't take. So go ahead and do it. Take one day at a time in preparations and enjoy learning the music. Don't be scared...or at least don't think about it so much. Think about the enjoyment of learning a new piece of music and keeping your mind busy with that experience. You are guaranteed to grow from it and that's what it's all about. That is how we all learn and excel and improve. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. You'll be alright. We are all here to help you.

Good luck!

Metro Detroit

I agree with Alex, although I'm many years removed for auditions I can say that if you don't auditon no one will come looking for you to play with them.

The worst that can happen to you is you don't make the cut right? Take it from me, I'm 36, you'll hear this many more times in your life. But by all means, do it! Just follow Manny's tips elsewhere in this forum and I'm sure no matter how it turns out you'll do fine.

Best wishes, and keep us informed of how you do.

2008 Eclipse MHY Bb Trumpet in Silver Plate with interchangable leadpipes
    Getzen Capri Bb Cornet
    Bach, GR & Monette mouthpieces

Utimate User

Do you like performing?

Well, an audition is a performance! Think about it. You prepare, learn your part inside out, no one is around to tell you you're too loud, too soft, too this, too that... you get to play music you way want.

You're wrong, you're right... it doesn't matter. You do it all relative to how you've been trained and the poeple listening to you, who are trained teachers and performers will say "Great, you're in" or they'll say you need more time to develop. Great, again, you've got lots of time to practice for the next opportunity.

The key is preparation. Don't take an audition if you haven't checked out everything you need to be responsible for. Once you know what those things are, go for it and perform. It's not at all like that silly show with British guy putting you down in front of all America. It's about something more important: learn to speak to people with your trumpet and having them understand.

Practice well, perform better.

Forte User
    Rochester, MN
    Well, an audition is a performance!
    Wow. Those six words are perhaps the best advice for approaching an audition I've ever seen....
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who do not.

Thread Information