Trumpet Discussion Discuss Tune in the General forums; Do you think it would help me develop a more perfect sense of pitch on my notes if I sat ...
    Pianissimo User

Do you think it would help me develop a more perfect sense of pitch on my notes if I sat down with a tuner for 10-15minutes a day and practiced playing notes perfectly in tune? I feel like it would really help me take that next step up in playing if I could get more pefect pitches on all my notes.

Re: Tune

Your sense of pitch only matures when you play ensemble. Duets, trios, .........
    The more you play, the more natural your skills are.

Electronic tuners are a curse and they do not teach better intonation. They are only capable of tuning according to the well tempered scale which is equally out of tune for every key!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

I say the more you practice the more you know when your out of tune and you can get better at your intonation. I'm am quite surprised when it comes to tuning time in band. Roughly 7/10 times will I not have to move my tuning slide! I just know the correct pitch or where the tuning slide was left last time and just correct the rest myself.

Now if you were to go to an a middle school band and listen to them tune, they usually fluctuate their tuning slide everyday they tune because of the poor intonation skill.

rowuk makes a good (like he always does!) playing with some group or even one other person that is equally like you (or better, which is great!) WILL help your sense of pitch.

Pianissimo User
    Kokomo, IN

Short answer, no. Anyone can light up a tuner or center a needle. The secret is knowing what the pitch sounds like and hitting it the first time every time. There is nothing better than listening to correct pitches and then matching them--practice, practice, and then practice. Spending time with a keyboard won't hurt. To play in tune, you need to know what the proper pitch sounds like--ear training, not watching a tuner.

Bostonish & San Francisco

The one thing you could do with a tuner is set it to a drone (if you can find one that is harmonius with what you are playing) and use that,

However definitely the best possible way to practice/learn how to play in tune is duets with someone with a solid sense of pitch
    Bb: Courtois 305 "Elite", Holton Al Hirt Special (~1966), Benge 3x with Upturned bell (1973)
    C: Bach C180-239 (Akwright conversion),
    Cornet: Conn Wonder (1900)
    Picc: Selmer Paris, ~1971

The Wide Brown Land

I've asked a couple of leading questions on tuning in these pages, and received some very helpful and inciteful responses. Follow the advice above and strangely your tuning will become more natural for you - it just sort of happens. I have found over the years that even my whistling sounds more tuneful - I guess the "lip-ups" I do with my trumpet practice are helping both mouth and ear muscles - it's the muscle between the ears that remains the problem.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Sight singing is awesome, and if you hate to sing, mouthpiece buzzing can be useful, matching tones, then intervals against a piano or other player.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Thread Information