Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Tuning in the General forums; Originally Posted by Ed Lee KT, addendum: and then I didn't have a so called practice mute ... and don't ...
    New York State USA

Re: Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lee View Post
    KT, addendum: and then I didn't have a so called practice mute ... and don't know if any were even made then ... at least some of the early times I played in church were during WWII when about all metals were strategic and unavailable ... but too I've an adversion to mutes and would prefer to do without, albeit I've now many which I guess I'll have to use whenever they are called for either in the music or by the director. Too, at the time I was often sight reading and simultaneously transposing from piano music thus memorizing wasn't always a way to go, although I agree that music moves along better with more of one's own interpretation when one isn't playing from dot to dot. How often I was approached to play on Friday or Saturday when I was working part time as a soda jerk in the drug store across the street from the church.
    That just wasn't time enough then for me to memorize a song for Sunday services and it still isn't.
    +1 --so far I havent needed a mute -- that really screws up my "hearing" the horn. I suspect if I needed to, then I could use the mute in conjunction with the tuner --- and work on it from there.

Yes -- so far I have had ample time to remember the songs, while usually getting several weeks advance notice of when I am going to play. Recently I was supposed to be in the worship service with all the instruments (guitars, keyboard, drums, ect, ??? harmonicas, banjos, harps and singers) -- but a touring musical group came by and filled that spot. So I suspect at some time in the future ---it will all come together with more than just a trumpet solo ---might need the dots then ---- time will tell, but it is all good
    play and be happy -- what more can one ask???

Pianissimo User
    Rochester, NY

Re: Tuning

Relying on tuners is sort of like using a ouiji board: eventually you will coax the answer you want (right or wrong, sharp or flat) and trick yourself into thinking you achieved some sort of good result. My elementary band teacher, when tuning us up before a concert with his old Conn Strobotuner, would not let us look at it, so we couldn't "coax" it. After adjusting a tuning slide, he also made us play a few notes or a measure or two of something before repeating the tuning C so we wouldn't remember the previous C's pitch and "coax" again.

The only time I use a tuner is when I can't bias the result, such as tuning an open guitar string. I cringe when I see people playing trumpet with a tuner on their stands because they are inevitably out of tune. Learn to tune without a tuner. Then, be aware of your tuning and make changes along the way if necessary. Recognize that some notes on the trumpet need to be bent into tune slightly. Recognize also that on some horns the tuning note may be the one that's out of whack.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information