Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By patkins
  • 1 Post By rowuk
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Tuning Question in the General forums; I've been playing cornet in 'a' parts with my cornet slides pulled out to tune it to 'a'. Which got ...
    Piano User

Tuning Question

I've been playing cornet in 'a' parts with my cornet slides pulled out to tune it to 'a'. Which got me thinking, when we pull out the main tuning slide, shouldn't that make the valve slides too short? When we tune, why don't we also pull out the valve slides?

Ithaca NY

Re: Tuning Question

I think it is because we'd never get it all done before the concert is over. The slides are designed to be "close" for Bb, whatever you do to the tuning slide to get there. I think it falls under the category of avoiding micromanagement. We make those small adjustments with our chops or the moveable slides.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Pianissimo User

the tuning slides for the valves are made to be tuned with the main slide. occasionally (especially on my experience with tuba and french horn) you can tune other valve slides, trumpeters may use the 3rd valve slide...HIH
    "Men have died for this music. You can't get more serious than that."
    -Dizzy Gillespie
    "Trumpet players, We're high maintenence we bring more than one instrument."
    -Joe Burgstaller

Forte User
    Near Portland, OR.

Well, yes, the moment your baseline tube becomes longer, the slides become too short, in theory. The slides, however, are kind of a compromise, except perhaps the 2nd valve slide, so it may be a little more complicated. I heard that some cornets have a ring or other device on the tuning slide itself so that you can use it to tune all fingerings. My Couesnon cornet has a tuning slide with a brace-like thingy that seems to have no other purpose than to offer the possibility of doing that: I can use my right thumb to push or pull the tuning slide as needed, the 1st and 3rd slide have no adjustment device. I am no expert so I'll let the cornet buffs elaborate.

Selmer Radial, Bb.
    Yamaha YTR4420E, C.
    1930 Couesnon cornet

A mind that masters the breath
    Creates strength (Lao-Tzu).

Forte User
    Tuscaloosa, AL.

This is why I like the Schilke X3L with a tunable bell. Problem resolved. Sound is fantastic! R. Schilke was way ahead of his time.
    X3Lb likes this.

Fortissimo User
    Greenfield WI

Yes, you're supposed to pull the valve slides when you tune to A. 1/4" on the first slide, 1/8" on the second, and 3/8" or so on the third.

Older horns even had lines scribed for this.

Buescher Lightweight 400
    Other Buescher horns 1939--1955
    Al Cass 1-28 mouthpiece
    Humes and Berg mutes

Vancouver, BC

The same applies to tuning an Eb trumpet to D. You pull all the slides. Blackburn actually makes spacers that you insert over the slides to keep them in the right spot when pulled all the way in. I have made similar spacers for other dual key horns that are pulled to s second key.
    Dave Harrison
    (Dr. Dave)
    Carol Brass 506RS Bb, CTR400CS C, CCR688R cornet, CPC7770YLS picc, CPT300LR pocket trumpet
    Blackburn Bb, C, Eb/D, Bb/A Pic
    Harreslons - 907L
    1946 Martin Committee, 1951 Martin D
    Too many other vintage horns to mention
    Wedge B10.5C-25 Delrin top on 25ML SST backbore
    A VERY understanding wife

Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by patkins View Post
    This is why I like the Schilke X3L with a tunable bell. Problem resolved. Sound is fantastic! R. Schilke was way ahead of his time.
    So how does a tuning bell overcome this problem... does it matter where the length of the horn changes (before or after the valves)?

Even if we pull the valve slides, most of the time even the open notes are terribly out of tune. The proportion of cylindrical to tapered pipe changes dramatically and that is not cured by pulling slides. "A" transposition has always been my solution.

The tuning bell moves the change in taper to a less critical area of the horn. You still need to pull the valve slides, but the open notes are better in tune.
    X3Lb likes this.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information