Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Local 357
Trumpet Discussion Discuss The twin devil of over training. in the General forums; Maybe with the onset of age, like Gaylord Perry you do you work smarter not harder: Perry reportedly approached the ...
    Banned Mezzo Piano User

The twin devils of over training.

Maybe with the onset of age, like Gaylord Perry you do you work smarter not harder:

Perry reportedly approached the makers of Vaseline about endorsing the product and was allegedly rebuffed with a one-line postcard reading, "We soothe babies' backsides, not baseballs." Former Manager Gene Mauch famously quipped "He should be in the Hall of Fame with a tube of K-Y Jelly attached to his plaque

(from Wiki)

Analogy I'm trying to make is that I'm fooling around with equipment more these days and resting my chops more. Like Perry did by getting help from his "spitter", am working into as shallow shallow as possible in the mouthpiece dept. To gain the physical advantage. Brass never tires like lips do.

Anything to avoid over training...

Think I spent the whole decade of the 70's in a constant state of over trained chops. Young and stupid back then

Double buzz, chops so stiff that they couldn't blow a decent double forte, actual cuts on my upper lip, and the FEAR of clams. Not just clams either but the tinny sound associated with un-resonant chops. Kazoo like thinness. So that even when I got the note right it would slip and slide all over the place.

Slipping up to a note is an art in itself. An attractive and very exciting "scream" effect when done in the right place intentionally but also a symptom of tired chops. When tired I used to bend everything from Low C to G Above High C into one long glissando. The note couldn't articulate either. Would just sort of appear and leave. The rise and fall. Like an ambulance siren...

But I'm not doing that anymore. I still get a lot of demanding gigs but none of them waste me well into the days afterwards. And there are very few times when i just don't have most the notes I consider to be part of my musical range at the end of a gig.

In fact i'd say I'm building more, tearing down less these days. And some of this is due to working into the shallowest end of the mouthpiece pool i can find.

Its a mathematical fact: The easier a mouthpiece is to play the longer the trumpet player can stay in the game without tiring. And the more quickly he recovers between sets. So the bar where over training results is set much higher. Thank God.

It isn't just the insecurity that over training causes that digs into a trumpet player. Its the fact that over training is the least efficient learning regimen. Its like intentionally bruising your knees today in hope you will run faster tomorrow.

Insecurity and lack of development: The twin devils of over trained chops. I avoid these like the Plague.
    Phil986 and GijsVis like this.

New York State USA

Re: The twin devil of over training.

I think last year I was overtraining -- with 3 hr practices every night. This year (although I added the trombone in January) -- I have been taking a day off, once or twice a week. And reducing practices to 1.5 to only 2 hrs at most. The range suffered this last year do to some lip problems, and perhaps overtraining. Now I am almost back to the high A, B and DHC (although they have never been "musical") they were actual notes --- and lately, they look as though they will be notes again.
    Well -- with adding the trombone, it is difficult to tell what is "overtraining", what is helping (ie. trombone helps with breath, and relaxing lips) -- but I don't seem to be a consumate trombone player. HOWEVER, my theory is that the trombone helps the chops and air, so I keep at it --- Nonetheless, with lowering the 3hr practice times, taking a day off, and using the trombone ---- THE TRUMPET HAS REALLY BECOME "EASIER" to play. So something is working!!!
    1991 King Silver Flair
    1953 Olds Super (LA)
    1979 King KG1055T (pre UMI) Silver Flair
    1940? Olds Ambassador (LA) tenor trombone

I'm not responsible for offending people -- people are responsible for themselves taking offense at me

Pianissimo User
    Colorado Springs

Re: The twin devil of over training.

i find the same only using flugel.

Thread Information