Trumpet Discussion Discuss Two piece bells in the General forums; What are your thinking on these? I Know that the old school of thinking, that they were not as good. ...
    Pianissimo User maine trumpeter's Avatar

Two piece bells

What are your thinking on these? I Know that the old school of thinking, that they were not as good.

Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    There have been many threads about this on TM and TH. It seems that both one and two piece bells are used today by the great trumpet makers. It doesn't seem to matter.
    "Music is a fire in your belly that has to come out of your mouth, so you'd better put a horn in the way before someone gets hurt"
    1949/50 Super Recording
    1949 Martin Committee
    1947 Olds Super
    Olds Super/Ultrasonic trumpet
    Olds Recording trumpet
    Olds Mendez
    Olds L-12
    Conn 40B
    Eclipse MR scratch gold
    Bach 37
    Scherzer Picc
    Buescher Mdl 15 Cornet in Bb/C/A (Dad's old horn)
    Boston 3 Star Ne Plus Ultra
    Natural trumpet hand made by my friend Howard Scudder

Utimate User
    All the horns I play have two-piece bells. They play beautifully. It comes down to craftsmanship and overall design of the horn. It's never about just one aspect.

Forte User
    Farnham (a place too smal
    When Besson were designing the Prestige cornet they tried one and two piece bells - the overwhelming majority of the playtesters preferred the two piece, so that is what they went with.

As Manny said, there is more to the discussion than just whether a bell is one or two piece.

Monroe Ct.
    I was buying a piano once and listened to the sales person tell me that the piano that he had was better and more expensive because the keys were counter weighted. He pushed down a key and showed me the black weight inserted in the side. He told me that this was the mark of a good piano.

When he was done my wife and I shopped around his store for a while more and I went up to the cheapest piano I could find and looked. Guess what I found.

At the next piano store, the same thing. They all had it.

The point I'm trying to make is, just because a manufacturer picks one aspect of the trumpet making to highlight or market doesn't make it the best. It's just a way of selling.

Forte User
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Andy Taylor, one of a few left in this world who still makes bells, bells for trumpets, Bone, French horns, etc. For his trumpets, he makes a two piece bell.

Just think about it for a minute what the difference is in construction and how it might affect the sound.

The one piece bell has a sound deadening lead solder seam down through the entire bell right to the tip.

The two piece bell has this same seam only until about 5 inches from the end. The bell end itself is solid.

In your opinion, which bell would seem to have the capability of a better and a more even resonance?

Liad Bar-EL

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit

'nough said!

Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Forte User
    Jerusalem, Israel

Add Taylor to the list of two piece bell trumpets.

Thread Information