Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss uncontroled shaking in the General forums; 4 years ago I had a concert and started shaking in the middle of the second movement of the Hummel ...

Re: uncontroled shaking

4 years ago I had a concert and started shaking in the middle of the second movement of the Hummel Concerto. I managed to get through with only my wife noticing. I went to the doctor the next day: blood pressure 215 over 150. One pill a day for 3 years and 30 pounds later, I am free of medication.

If shaking is new, get a checkup.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Deep South

Quote Originally Posted by doake View Post
    I've got slight tremor all the time, but when I play the horn it gets so bad the mouthpiece almost jumps off my face. It keeps me from even warming up properly. I'm about ready to throw the horn out. If anyone has any ideas that might help I'd sure be grateful. doake, a recently new member.
    Hi Doake. Have you tried playing seated? Silly question, I guess, but maybe there's a way to get some more support for the horn sitting down. Maybe turning the chair slightly askew so you can get some support from the chair back? Just a thought, but if you want to play, I'll bet there's a way. Frankly, it doesn't bother me to hear performers who have a tremor in the voice or instrument tone. I've known quite a few jazz men who played on after they began experiencing tremors, and they were still GREAT. We all still learned and took much from their performances.
    old trumpetman
    Connstellation 38B
    Lots of junk
    Washburn guitars (with autographs)
    Wood sculptor and primitive flute maker
    '69 Falcon
    '71 IH 800B Scout
    '81 Camaro
    '86 VW conv.
    '96 Supercharged Riviera (never been beat...yet)

Banned Mezzo Forte User

Might want to see about a ShulmanSystem doake. I understand Matt was selling the company. Not sure of product availability currently. Maybe you could find a used one, if the co.'s still on the block. In any event: possibly it could serve a short-term solution, and long-term benefit as well.

Banned Mezzo Piano User

Do you have a nurological condition?? DO you have a problem with any muscles? If no to all of the above I would recomend you train your body some. Two things cause the shakes more then anything else exhaustion from doing too much work or weakness from doing too little. This assumes blood sugar and all other health related issues are not a problem. I suffer from really bad insomnia and when I go a few day's without sleeping I get hand tremor's and sometimes my one eye lid will also tremor. Other then that the only time I shake is low blood sugar or after hard workout etc.....

I also fly and love it. I would look into a book called "Isometric Power Revolution" by John E. Peterson. I am sure your local library can get it for you. I am sure due to your age that you have heard of Isometrics before. His book will also help you heal after any surgery that effects joints. I think that at 78 your static strength endurance is just suffering a little due to age. Since you have maintained a Flight Physical for so long I would be suprised to find it is anything more serious then that or they would have spoted it already. If you are takeing Narcotic pain killers some people get tremors from those. I take some for cronic post operative pain and Tramdol does not bother me but if I take Vicodin I get muscle spasism and cramps in places I never get spasisms and cramps. So it could be something as simple as changeing a medication.

Good Luck and let us know what you find and what helps etc!!!!!!

Greensboro, NC

did you stop playing for awhile and just start back? have you been playing all along and it just start? is the shaking just in your lips or other parts of your body/
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information