Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Unfortunate--but necessary--trumpet job... in the General forums; Yesterday I played "Taps" at the memorial service for the first soldier in the 1st Infantry Division to be killed ...

Unfortunate--but necessary--trumpet job...

Yesterday I played "Taps" at the memorial service for the first soldier in the 1st Infantry Division to be killed in action while serving his country in Iraq. Tomorrow I play another memorial service for two more soldiers in the division KIA in Iraq.

Please, send your thoughts and prayers to his family, to all the soldiers who are serving in harms way, and to the families that support them.

--Kevin

Do you find it harder to play taps for KIA soldiers than for
    older veterans?
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

Actually, I don't find either "hard" to do. While they are not "fun," I do enjoy doing them. It's the most important thing any military musician can do.

--Kevin

I guess that's true. I've never played for anything but American Legion ceremonies.
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

Re: Unfortunate--but necessary--trumpet job...

Quote Originally Posted by TangneyK
    Yesterday I played "Taps" at the memorial service for the first soldier in the 1st Infantry Division to be killed in action while serving his country in Iraq. Tomorrow I play another memorial service for two more soldiers in the division KIA in Iraq.

Please, send your thoughts and prayers to his family, to all the soldiers who are serving in harms way, and to the families that support them.

--Kevin
    I am glad to hear that a trumpeter played taps live. Anyone in harm's way who makes the ultimate sacrifice deserves the honor. If something should never be used again, it is the "ceremonial bugle" or recorded taps.

You asked for prayers -- that I will do.

M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

Pianissimo User

Taps

I am in for prayers too.

I've got mixed feelings about the ceremonial bugle.

First, as we hopefully all know, a live musician can never be replaced.

However... If the military is not willing to fork out the money to hire real musicians, the "digital bugle" is a lesser evil compared to a boombox hidden in some bushes.

My solution is to "contract out" players. Throw some high school or college player in a uniform, pay them $50, and presto...

Oh... and talk about pressure. At last Wednesday's job, the 4 star general in command of all the troops in Europe was there. :)

--Kevin

Fortissimo User
    Isn't having a 4-star buy a round of beer after part of the tradition?

Seriously, the concept of having a "non-military" trumpeter play Taps is a good one; it can't help but strengthen the "civilian/military" bond, encourage young musicians to take an interest in what's going on in the world, provide a much-needed increment of respect to a serviceman/woman's passing, and give the survivors a feeling that their loved one's loss wasn't a total waste.

Mezzo Forte User bigaggietrumpet's Avatar
    I agree. A year ago, I had to play Taps as a senior in HS for a dear friend of mine who had fought in WWII, and for my school's 9/11 anniversary memorial service. Definitely the hardest thing I have ever had to do. First, because I really didn't know what all I was supposed to do as far as position and stuff. I didn't want to do anything that would dishonor the military, as my grandfather would have risen from his grave and beaten me. Second, because I get very emotional, and it was especially so at the funeral. It's a simple, but so beautiful piece of music.

If you're lookin' for volunteers, I'll gladly do it for free everytime. It's the least I can do.
    Michael Smith
    Hullabaloo: The official band of Texas A&M Basketball
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information