Trumpet Discussion Discuss "Unhealthy" to practice high-pitched trumpets?? in the General forums; This topic came to my mind as I a couple of month ago was preparing for a solo-concert on Eb-trumpet. ...
    New Friend

"Unhealthy" to practice high-pitched trumpets??

This topic came to my mind as I a couple of month ago was preparing for a solo-concert on Eb-trumpet. Haydn of course what else

I got my new Eb-trumpet 2 month before the concert and began practising on it, but after recording myself I realized...God!! Why am I playing so loud on it?? And I discovered that I had to back off much more than I thought and play Eb-trumpet instead of playing it like Bb- or C-trumpets. Since it was a big concert to me (and I wanted to be at my best) I decided to practice exclusively on Eb-trumpet for this concert.

So to get to the point (sorry) when my teacher heard this he told that he didn't think this was such a good idea since it will destroy my Bb- and C-chops and stiffness might occur as well.

After the concert which went well I began practising Bb- and C-trumpet again and I didn't have any problem at all.
    Well, during this time I transposed everything I practiced so that it would sound like C-trumpet but just to get used to the Eb-trumpet.

What I like us to do here at TM is to discuss this

Is it really "unhealthy" to practice Eb/E-, F/G- and Piccolo-trumpet over a extended period of time without going back and forth between Bb -) C and High-pitched? If - Why??

What are your experiences of practising much on high-pitched trumpets? Is it a question of mouthpieces(??), I think so...I played the Eb-trumpet with 1C actually.
    Stockholm Brass Quintet
    Stockholm Royal College of Music

Sheffield, England, UK
    I think that your practice should reflect the amount of performing you are going to be doing on each instrument. Unless you have particular difficulty using one instrument, in which case that would need extra work. I think it's important to keep your lips used to using each of the instruments you own, so that when you need to use one that you don't use that often it doesn't come as a hughe shock.

Practicing exclusively on one instrument for an extended period of time is not a great idea, but since you only got the horn a couple of months prior to the concert, I think it was probably a reasonably sensible thing to do.
    " have the perfect C Major chord, with blazing trumpets and inaudible strings." - Daniel Barenboim.

In my personal experience, I never had a problem going between Bb and a D/Eb that I had borrowed from a friend for a while, although I must say that I was predominately playing Bb.

Pic? Now that's a different topic. I always had trouble going between the two of those. If I would practice pic enough that I was sounding good on it, my Bb chops really suffered. If I was doing well on Bb, I struggled to play the pic. I never did find a balance with that little horn, and since I really wasn't using it for any gigging and it was sitting for long stretches in the case, I sold it to a friend.

Good topic!
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Thread Information