Trumpet Discussion Discuss University Bands in the General forums; Alright so its my senior year and im thinking about music. I know im not going down the music major ...
    Pianissimo User

University Bands

Alright so its my senior year and im thinking about music. I know im not going down the music major path but i still want to play. What kind of expirience did any of you have in university marching band and wind ensembles? Also, Whats the "pecking order" within the music and non music majors. For example, how seriously are directors and teachers going to take you if your not getting a music degree?

-thanks in advance
    Last edited by trumpet520; 07-27-2008 at 05:07 PM. Reason: typo

Kalamazoo, Michigan

Re: University Bands

Hi Sam, that's a good topic not often seen on the forums. I was in that situation myself in my 4 yrs at Michigan State from 60-64. After high school, I didn't know if I wanted to be a music major or not, but wanted to join the fine Spartan Marching Band, being from nearby Lansing. I was able to pass an audition to get into the marching band and never felt I was in an adverse position to music majors as such. Of course there was harrassment, but it was from my peers only. I didn't declare a major for a couple of years and was able to work in electives so I could play in one of the lower level concert bands and also the bastketball band. As time went one, I gradually moved up the ladder and by my senior year I was playing 1st part in the Marching Band.
    Most of the music majors played in the top concert band, which I wasn't good enough to play in anyway, so didn't feel slighted. I was not aware of a "glass ceiling" between the majors and non-majors. There has been a stron espirit de corps among band members over many years and I have played in the Alumni Concert and Marching Band reunion days for many years where everyone has equal status, no matter what there college level was.
    Also being under such instructors as Leonard Falcone, Bill Moffitt and Byron Autry didn't hurt!

I ended up getting a degree in Police Administration, but the musical group experiences made the rest tolerable for me and a source of pride.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

There are some colleges that will pay you work study to play in the concert band. The need to fill out sections with non music majors has hit home. You should look into getting paid to play and not be a music major. No pecking order. Just a pay check.
    "I was performing professionally at age 17 and have never had a real job." Allen Vizzutti

New Friend

Fighting Texas Aggie Band is my reccomendation. and Noooo, I'm not biased! Most in the marching band are not music majors but they are in the Corp. Band Corp. is separate than run now, run some more, and you're never finished running Corp. Great Traditions as well. Oklahoma is not that far from College Station.

Thread Information