Trumpet Discussion Discuss Unlocking musical playing in the General forums; Unlocking musical playing from with in you There is all this talk of being musical and playing with expression so ...
    Forte User

Unlocking musical playing

Unlocking musical playing from with in you

There is all this talk of being musical and playing with expression so I think we should create a list of things that have helped us, or would help others, develop musicality. I am far from the best trumpet player on this site but I wanted to share some things that have helped me think more musically in terms of trumpet playing.

1) the serious study of Conducting and theory

2) the serious study of Jazz improvisation

3) Starting and playing in a new music (Nova) ensemble while in grad school

4) Playing Arban’s exercises and making them really say something.

lets see if we can get some more ideas going here....

New Friend
    Try to imagine what the piece looks like. Does it looks like an old forest or a amusement park? or does I makes you think of a baby criyng? Just getting an image... or even an evelution of somehting in you head, than play the piece with this idea in head. It really helps to put a little more feeling in music.

I am drum major and, whe a piece is know by heart by my musician, i get them to close their eyes and imagine... listen to everyone. They love that because they don't concentrate anymore on their own sound, but about the overall sound! I often suggest them a theme for a song.

So I'd really say that trying to figure an image out of music will help you get more musically.
    -= 709 royal canadian air cadet squadron brass instructor =-

Thread Information